Time Temp Thing

Learn new tweaks for the DRS 2006 Broadcast Processor Plugin, DRS 2006 Internet Broadcaster Plugin, 3rd party utilities and more. Add Ons and Plugins has a wealth of information dealing with many additional components created specifically for DRS 2006 radio automation software.

Time Temp Thing

Postby djbryce » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:29 am

I have a customer that would like to use the Sine Systems Time Temp thing http://www.sinesys.com/pages/tti2.html to the DRS2006 Pro. It looks like to box just needs a simple contact closure to start it, then the TTT sends and End of Message pulse to step the automation on to the next event. Can this unit be controled by the DRS, and where might I find some docs and pinouts? Thanks!
djbryce
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:46 pm

dj I have never used the serial device control but if you look under "Add Ons" you will find information about this software module.

From looking at the interface it appears that you can not only send control strings BUT control the individual handshaking lines on a serial port.

From looking at the TT web page it appears you can control it via and open collector or contact closure. This means you can hook up the DTR (pin 20 I think) on a serial port to the TT and turn that on/off via the serial device control module.

Worse case you might have to have DTR control a small 5 volt reed relay that would give you the contact closure most gear requires. To confirm this would work for you simply download the software, put a volt meter on pin 20 and send it an on/off command to see if pin 20 goes high then low.

If this all sounds like giberish let me know and I will try to give you more info.

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Time Temp Thing

Postby djbryce » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:23 pm

Lee...

I think you are on the right path in your second description. The Time Temp Thing just needs a pulse rather than a serial string to start it, then it sends the EOM when it is done speaking. So I guess the questions are:

1) This Pin 20 you speak of is on the back of my computer and do I still need to buy the extra software module?

2) How do I get the audio of the Time Temp Thing into the DRS-2006...line in? Or do I need to do this through an outboard mixer?

Thanks in advance for your help...
djbryce
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:14 pm

opps sorry I guess I should have been more explicit. Pin 20 is the number of the DTR line on a 25 pin serial port. I need to look up what that maps to on a 9 pin which is standard now days but it is still called DTR.

So no, nothing to buy as long as you have a serial port on the computer. Also you do not need to use DTR, there are other data lines on a serial port that will do the exact same thing. I think RTS (request to send) would work as well as long as the DRS module lets you toggle the RTS signal.

I am curious though about this End of Message signal. Is that a data line that is toggled on/off ? Normally I think of a EOM as a string that is passed via a serial connection.

Audio
The audio is another issue and that is simply a routing issue based on how you want to setup your system. If you use and console then that make is easy. If you want to go directly into DRS I believe there is a free Line In module. I think Dave B wrote but can't remember. Its under the Add Ons or Other Cool Stuff section of this site.

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Time Temp Thing

Postby djbryce » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:11 pm

Hey Lee...

OK...that all makes sense. I will pass the info onto our engineer.

As for the EOM, in most cases with radio broadcast equipment of this type, the EOM is basically simple contact closure as oppsed to a serial string. Goes back to the days of Reel-to-Reel automation systems that pretty much only understood "on" and "off". (I am having horrible flash-back thoughts of our old SMC automation back in the 80's ... Photo Here. Not my station, but same system. OH THE HORROR! :D

Thanks for your help!!!!

Bryce
djbryce
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: Time Temp Thing

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:24 pm

djbryce wrote:I am having horrible flash-back thoughts of our old SMC automation back in the 80's ...

Ha ha! I know what you mean Bryce. Here's a Harris System 90 that I had the "pleasure" of working with in the early 80's.

Dave
Soft ' N Easy Net Radio

Tel: 1-888-256-0242
"Magic Of The 80's"
Saturdays 8PM EST and Sundays 12PM EST.
Dave B
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:39 am

hey dave,

sorry this isn't the right thread, but isaw your name and had a thought.

ur line in control addon...

can you program it to call an mp3 stream? for example... DRS plays all mp3's... well what if one of those files were an mp3 STREAM? for example, to forward or syndicate a live internet show? any possibility? lemme know if you can come up with anythying. thanks!

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Add Ons and Plugins