Determine the playing song in beta 3.

Learn new tweaks for the DRS 2006 Broadcast Processor Plugin, DRS 2006 Internet Broadcaster Plugin, 3rd party utilities and more. Add Ons and Plugins has a wealth of information dealing with many additional components created specifically for DRS 2006 radio automation software.

Determine the playing song in beta 3.

Postby Neotenic » Thu May 11, 2006 11:13 pm

I made a pluggin for DRS2006 v2.1
It gets the playing song and send it to a radio's website for the song's name to be displayed.

I've been using those files before:
analyzer.DBF => to dertermine when the song changes
CommEditor.DBF => to get the name of the playing song
HRDat.DBF => to get the file name of the playing song

Now I must do a pluggin for version 3 but it doesn't work anymore. I'd like to know if anyone of you managed to determine what song was playing in version 3.

Thank you
Neotenic

Postby Adriaan » Fri May 12, 2006 3:24 pm

I think most of the DRS (Pro) users are using the Webcasting kit to realize this :?
Adriaan

Postby Neotenic » Fri May 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Hmmm, Webcasting kit...
I've been working twice for pro DRS broadcasters (as a pluggin developper), and I never heard of that... what is it? What does it do?
Neotenic

Postby Adriaan » Fri May 12, 2006 6:20 pm

what is it? What does it do?

Welcome to the DRS 2006 Webcasting Kit

This is a small but very powerful utility for the DRS 2006 radio automation software. Basically it takes any sort of template files like HTML or PHP files and manipulates them. Manipulating means it will search for simple variables and then replace them with data that comes directly from the DRS 2006 On Air Analyzer. After this manipulation it is also able to upload the new generated files to your webserver.
You can for example use this utility to create dynamic websites or even java applets which will display the current and last title information of your DRS 2006 radio station.
Adriaan

Postby Neotenic » Fri May 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Alright, I'll take a look. Thank you.
Neotenic

Postby Neotenic » Fri May 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Is the Webcasting kit able to take song names from Id3 v2 from the mp3 files, or is it limited to the 40 max character song names in the DRS2006 database?
Neotenic

Postby Adriaan » Fri May 12, 2006 11:19 pm

I do not know for sure but I think the Webcasting kit does not use MP3 Tags at all. Here is how it works:

Here is what you need to do:
1. Create any kind of file. For example a HTML file. In this file you can use 6 kinds of variables:
@TIME1@, @TIME2@....@TIME50@
@ARTIST1@, @ARTIST2@....@ARTIST50@
@TITLE1@, @TITLE2@....@TITLE50@
@CATEGORY1@, @CATEGORY2@....@CATEGORY50@
@DURATION1@, @DURATION2@....@DURATION50@
@COMMENT1@, @COMMENT2@....@COMMENT50@
These variables represent the On Air Time, Artist, Title, Category (Type), Title Duration, and the Comment field.
The numbers 1 to 50 specify the last 50 titles. 1 means last title (currently playing), 2 means 2nd last title etc..The '@' makes the variable visible for the Webcasting Kit.

You also have an option to display the next 3 upcoming titles. Simply use these variables:
@NTIME1@, @NTIME2@, @NTIME3@
@NARTIST1@, @ARTIST2@, @NARTIST3@
@NTITLE1@, @TITLE2@, @NTITLE3@
@NCATEGORY1@, @NCATEGORY2@, @NCATEGORY3@
@NDURATION1@, @NDURATION2@, @NDURATION3@
@NCOMMENT1@, @NCOMMENT2@, @NCOMMENT3@
Note that this feature will only work with version 3.0 and above.

2. Add your template files in the 'Template Files (html, php etc.)' box

3. Select the Local Destination/Upload Directory for Manipulated Template Files.
Your template files will be loaded into the memory, manipulated and then copied to this folder. Please use a different folder than the source folder of the template files to prevent that these are replaced.

4. If you set your webserver information, then you can also let the Webcasting Kit upload all files which are in the 'Local Destination/Upload Directory for Manipulated Template Files' automatically. This can either be done when a change is made or after a certain time preriod you have set.

5. Finally hit the start button. The status of the Webcating Kit will be displayed below.

It works great. The thing I am interested in is a great way to present the info on our website. Now it is rather basic. Can you program something (in Flash or Java e.g)? See our website for current situation http://www.retroradio.nl/
Adriaan

Postby Neotenic » Fri May 12, 2006 11:47 pm

Seems like a good product, but if it doesn't use the Id3 tags, it's limited to 40 characters :?. Does anyone know how to work arround version 3 to get the playing song file?
Neotenic

Postby Adriaan » Sat May 13, 2006 8:48 am

<edit>
Adriaan

Postby InLi » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:06 pm

Actually I am stuck with the same problem. Namely fetching all ID3 tags from the currently played song.
Since I am not aware of any solution with v2 I now installed beta3 and use Webcasting Kit.
But the problem still remains: Webcasting kit just takes data from the analyzer table. And there is just Album Title and Comment stored. So I updated all comments: Now every song in my database has the filename as a comment and with that filename I can read out ID3 Tags with external software.

It's a pity, that DRS is not able to publish all metadata. DRS could at least provide some kind of hooks. Everytime a new song is played, it should execute a given command with the now playing filename as argument....
MfG

InLi

I need Help. Prefer German.
InLi
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Add Ons and Plugins