Satellite/Remote triggering

Learn new tweaks for the DRS 2006 Broadcast Processor Plugin, DRS 2006 Internet Broadcaster Plugin, 3rd party utilities and more. Add Ons and Plugins has a wealth of information dealing with many additional components created specifically for DRS 2006 radio automation software.

Satellite/Remote triggering

Postby grimmy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Hello all,
Anyone needing satellite control of DRS 2006 by DTMF tones or by Comstream or equivalent products? I have recently resurrected a project to solve this issue. I have been testing this with a major radio network using a Comstream ABR200 reciever and DRS ver. 3
betas. More on how this piece of hardware works if any interest is expressed. One question I have....anyone still using a satellite feed that sends DTMF tones for automation control?
Thanks, Grimmy
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby jono » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:30 am

I would like DRS2006 to be able to control other equipment. A command category which could be dropped into the playlist like any other audio item, but sending a command to serial port rather than playing an audio file. Kind of integrating DRS Auto Device Control that he already . Maybe Mark can put this into v3.1 !!
jono
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:49 am

Yes, I brought this topic up a few times a couple years ago and was told that these critical components would be considered. I think internet streaming became more of a priority for Mark and the staff. Anyway, almost all professional automation packages have the command capabilities. Digital Juke Box has full controls
for Broadcast Tools Audio Switcher and I/O cards as well.
What and how many things do you need to control? I can make DRS2006 control lighting and other external devices by relays using a semi su-audible tone(s) and external tone decoders.
Grimmy
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby jono » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Grimmy
I need to turn on a fader on the console and also switch a router. I can make do with relay closure to effect his. I can produce the sub tones..what decoders to you recommend
jono
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Hello Jono,

Option one: If you can get your hands on a Mueller T25-35SA (subaudible tone decoder) these are rock solid decoders with solid false tripping technology. This will decode 25HZ, 35Hz, and 25-35HZ combo tones giving you three momentary contact closures according to the decoded tones. These were used for satellite control of cart machines prior to PC's being integrated into the business.
Very easy to set up. Simply record a 25Hz, 35HZ, 25-35HZ combo tone as mp3's and add to your DRS Audio Database. You should find the tones on the net or you can do as I have done and create your own using the NCH Tone Generator at (www.nch.com.au) it's a trial version but cheap to register. The Mueller decoder will filter out the tone if you pass the audio through the decoder and on to the original audio destination. The decoder is mono so when you record your tone mp3's only record in the left channel. *I found that it was hard to get even audio between left and right after the decoder filtered out the tone. So, I simply used an audio "Y" and just tapped the left channel of audio into the decoder. This leaves a barely audible low tone rumble in the audio when it's not filtered out but again, it's hardly noticable. If your fader on/off is as most
then it's a momentary contact on. Connect the ...25HZ decoded contact closure to the fader for on. To turn the fader back off you can connect the 35HZ or the 25-35Hz combo contact closure to accomplish this.
Now that you have wired the decoder into the system and created your desired tone mp3's.....when you want the fader to turn on at the desired location in your playlist, simply insert the correct tone mp3 for the "FADER ON" function (25Hz for fader on). The decoder will detect the tone in the audio, decode it and activate the 25Hz contact closure turning on the fader. I had been using this method to control lighting and have had wonderful results.
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Hello again Jono,

Option two: Uses the same principal idea but since the Mueller decoder is sometimes hard to find, here is an alternative for the tone decoder. Ramsey electronics @ www.ramseyelectronics.com
has the TD1 kits available. The kits come unassembled and need an
easy modification to work in the 25HZ area. I use four kits to accomplish the 25HZ and 35HZ functions.
Using four kits .......two for each function....
(one for left audio 25HZ and one for right audio 40HZ)=25HZclosure
(one for left audio 35HZ and one for right audio 45HZ)=35HZclosure
Dual tone decoders gives some help for false tripping. the kits provide a low current contact closure relay for driving a larger relay. I have been testing this method and have found it to be about 96% accurate as far as decoding. False tripping occurred at times due to high level audio. Nice even audio is the key on decoding tones. The Broadcast Processor plug-in helps to even out the audio. This method requires electronics building and tuning of the decoder kits for accurate decoding.
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:46 am

Hello again Jono,

Option three: Is a clever mix of software and hardware. Use the same method mentioned in Option one to create the tones. Then install the Tone Detector software program available @ www.nch.com.au...Set up the tones to be decoded and what file to execute in the program. The program runs in the background listening to your sound card output and will start an executable file when the desired tone is decoded.

I created three different executable files that send data to the Serial port (RS232)to control a serial relay board kit. (Kit108) from http://kitsrus.com/
You could also use Kit74. It works on the parallel printer port.
Create batch files to control the kit of your choice then, convert the
batch files to .exe using a compiler. Then as mentioned setup the tones to activate the desired executable file.

I found the NCH decoder software to be very touchy. An even level of audio from the sound card is critical to reduce false triggering.

Option One is the most reliable with no false triggering due to the quality of the equipment.
Option Two works well with an audio compressor/limiter in line if you have the experience to build.
Option Three also works but combines more money with experience to build and some ideas on programming.

What kind of router do you need to control? Does it have an external way of control of by software only?

I hope this gives you some ideas to work with.
Now back to working on my Satellite/remote control, Tone decoding, DRS triggering box that does it all.
Grimmy
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:20 am

Hello Jono,

The Mueller T25-35SA is still being made new per special order from
http://muellerbroadcastdesign.com/

Also, http://www.broadcastboxes.com/products/Sub03lit.html does the exact same decoding and closures.

Both units are expensive new. Used are tough to find.

Grimmy
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby jono » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Grimmy.

Wow, thankyou for that comprehensive reply. I already have the tone generator from nch, and will look at one of the decoder boxes. My router uses contact closure to switch so thats ideal. My broadcast chain is entirely digital so cant use the box to filter out the tone but should still be ok.

thanks again and Happy New Year!!
jono
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey your welcome, glad to see someone can also try out the ideas.

If you can grab the analog audio from the soundcard and go straight to the box, you should have no problem. A little fine tuning and you can have it start your morning coffee brewing. LOL!!

Another little safe gaurd I have been working on for the TD1 tone kit, is putting a relay on the audio going to the box. And, using a time scheduling program or batch file to activate the relay in a windowed time frame. This will only allow audio to pass to the decoder box during a specified window of time. This can be an added safegaurd regardless of the box or kit used.

Grimmy
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby grimmy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:32 pm

P.S. Happy New Year!
grimmy
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Add Ons and Plugins