DRS 2006 with external audio processing

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

DRS 2006 with external audio processing

Postby BBRadio » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:18 am

I want to connect my Behringer Ultramizer external audio processor to my computer, but do not know if this is possible on a budget.

I have SB Audigy, and need to know if I can do the above with this card, or need to by more expensive pro card. If so, which ones should I consider - in a lower price range.

Thank you.
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby JColletta275 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:04 am

It's doable on a budget, but the rest of my response depends on what equipment you already have.

If you're simply running DRS out to the net, you'll need to make a stop at your local audio hardware store. Since the SoundBlaster cards use typical 1/8-inch "headphone format" jacks and your Behringer compressor uses 1/4-inch "guitar format" jacks (or XLR jacks, which are more expensive so I would not reccomend them on a tight budget), you'll need four 1/8-inch male - to - 1/4-inch male mono cables (which are fairly inexpensive), as well as two 1/8-inch stereo male - to - 1/8-inch mono female Y-split cables. Since the compressor doesn't take stereo input through a single connection, you'll need to use two cables and one splitter cable to run the output from your computer into the compressor. Use the other two cables and splitter to run the audio back into your computer from the compressor. Of course, you're going to want to be able to actually hear what you're doing, so you'll need a separate [b]1/8-inch stereo male - to - 1/8-inch stereo female Y-split cable[/] to establish two output connections from the computer. Plug the stereo end of the 2-cable/splitter combination that runs into the compressor into one side of the stereo splitter, and plug your computer speakers into the other side. From there, you'll be set!

On the other hand, if you have a mixer that you're running everything through into your computer's line-in jack, it's a lot simpler. If that's the case, let me know and I'll be glad to help you!

Either way, I hope this has been at least some sort of help to you. Good luck!

Josh C.
"Get educated. Read stuff on the Web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie
http://theradioblog.blogspot.com
JColletta275
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby BBRadio » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:01 pm

"Throw up your rawkfist if you feelin' it when I drop this."

That tune rules, been playing it for a while...

Thanks for your response. It is such an easy read.

I got all the cables needed, and I do not run external mixer. Whole setup is in one PC.

My setup is very simple.

One dedicated machine running DRS2006 ENT v.3.0 beta and Internet Broadcaster.

What I tried so far was to connect 'Line Out' on SB to 'Line In' on Behringer. I then run Y cable from 'Line Out' on Behringer to 'Line In' on SB. Behringer Ultramizer Pro picks up audio signal from SB, so that works.

Problem is how to configure WinXP mixer and DRS mixer, so that live audio signal from DRS is sent to SB 'Line Out' and nowhere else. At the moment, Internet Broadcaster picks up signal from DRS directly, and not from 'Line In' from my SB, which is where processed audio arrives back into my PC, after it goes through external (Behringer) unit.

So that seems to me to be my problem, configuring software portion of my setup. Hardware connections seem to be fine. I would love to sort this puzzle out, and relieve PC of potential problems and extra processing needed when using software broadcast processor.

What is your system configuration? Oh, I only stream on the net.
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby JColletta275 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:59 pm

Thanks for the compliment! TFK's been doing really well on my college station's Christian alternative show as well.

I haven't used Internet Broadcaster, so I just installed it to see what I could find. As far as I can tell, it will only allow you to choose the mixing device from which to pick up the feed. However, the audio comes specifically from the "Recording" (or some similarly titled) portion of the Windows mixer, not through the "Playback" portion which initially appears. Make sure your LINE IN jack is selected and set to a suitable level in the "Recording" mixer, and you should be good to go.

As for myself, I'm not entirely up-and-running yet. A few of my friends and I are putting together an online station as soon as we can get the money to kick off. We've got a good portion of our equipment, it's mostly the costs of a blanket license for the music, a suitable Internet connection, and dedicated PCs for streaming and production. Right now, I'm just kind of experimenting with DRS, getting all the settings right and such. I just bought the Broadcast Processor DSP, and I can see why you have an external unit. Talk about a resource hog! Right now my PC is running DRS 2.11 Standard with the Pro processor. That's running out to my mixer (which is a Gemini PMX 120 at the moment... I have a production/live console, but I have no room for it at the moment), which runs back into my PC's LINE IN jack. When I do stream (occasionally), I'm running the audio from the LINE IN jack through WinAmp 2.91 with the Line-In and ShoutCast plugins, which sends it into my copy of the ShoutCast server program. I don't have a whole lot of bandwidth right now, so I don't stream all that often, but when I do, the setup has worked exactly as expected. When we do get up and running, I'll be running the WinAmp/ShoutCast setup on a separate PC, as we'll likely need the LINE IN jack on the DRS machine for external audio sources. Plus, there will be that much less worrying about CPU resources, and we won't have to worry about getting viruses on an automation machine that's not directly connected to the 'Net. After helping you out and my own experiences with the Broadcast Processor, I might suggest we buy an external compressor as well! In the meantime, however, the DSP will do, as long as nothing (aside from it and DRS) is running (which gets really annoying after a while :D ).

Hope I helped. Post again if it doesn't work, and I'll see if I can dig anything else up!

Josh C.
-- Phil Hendrie
JColletta275
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby BBRadio » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:38 am

I did run trials with a number of automation packages, but for some reason DRS v.3 (makes v.2 look very limiting) always seemed to produce best sounding and smoothest flowing stream. In the ideal world, I would mate DRS with Jazler, and watch the offspring grow :).

So I took a plunge a went for DRS Pro. If you are a registered STD user, I would suggest you try v.3 beta. One thing is for sure: STD package for $69!! Bargain.

I bought Behringer Ultramizer last year for under $100 on ebay in UK. Use it for when I record my turntable mixing sessions. But I know that Music One radio uses same unit for their sound processing, and it sounds very good. So i figured if I could sort my config problem, I'll use my unit for broadcasting.

One of the best sounding stations (to me!) is Energy 98. I'd like to know what they use for their sound processing.

What kind of music you want to play on your station? Also, licencing fees are so high, and returns low, one wonders why are we doing this sort of thing. Only affordable solution that I know of is either Live365 (hate login requirement) or SWCAST.net. I think I'll go with the latter.
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby JColletta275 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:45 am

Well, right now we're looking at putting up a Christian alternative station to start. We've also discussed possibly running a sports talk stream, but my friends and I have agreed a Christian rock station would attract more listeners, so that's where we're going with it initially. As for revenue, we're attempting to start a voice imaging group as well, which I think will help us out quite a bit financially. Since we already have all the equipment we need, the only major cost to us will be the music and production elements library. I've looked into several possibilities to that end, and I've found one that is amazingly vast and up-to-date, but shouldn't be too expensive. In terms of licensing, I think we'll probably go with SWCAST.net. I'm not exactly a big fan of Live365 either. I used to have a station with them, and it became so tedious to run that I gave up on it. At the time I was with them, it wasn't worth all the hoops you had to jump through to keep a station going.
-- Phil Hendrie
JColletta275
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Dave@101x » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:20 pm

I use a second soundcard.
Here's what I do - hopefully you can see this diagram.
My isp likes to block ports so I'm providing this image from a non-standard server port.

I use the EQ on the sidechain of the Behringer Autocom to apply De-Essing to audio signal as I also run the behringer output to a lpfm transmitter

Go from the first soundcard to your processing equipment then back to the line in on the second soundcard. Choose the second soundcard as the source on the Internet Broadcaster.

Works for me
Dave@101x
Dave@101x
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby ExtremeNetRadio » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:45 pm

i do the same as above, but with 1 sound card.. havent figured out why i would need 2 soundcards though... Can someone enlighten me on why 2 would be better than 1?? Seriously..
ExtremeNetRadio
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby Dave@101x » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:20 pm

If yours is working with one then great!
It seems a common problem with using one sound card with external audio processors is that the Internet Broadcaster picks up the signal from DRS2006 at the source rather than the processed audio fed back into the line input.
It all probably depends on the type of sound card used.

I've also noticed that certain 'cheap' sound cards will result in a feedback loop when taking a signal from the line-out to a processor then back into the line-in on the same card
Dave
Dave@101x
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby maxquad » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:19 am

>I've also noticed that certain 'cheap' sound cards will result in a >feedback loop when taking a signal from the line-out to a >processor then back into the line-in on the same card

The trick around this is to MUTE the LINE IN on the playback side of the Windows Volume Control (that is if you are using a separate mixer and speakers). The LINE IN on the RECORDING side of the Windows Volume Control needs to be CHECKED and set to the appropriate levels. The feedback loop is caused by not muting the LINE IN on the PLAYBACK side

I wish DRS would let you select the soundcards available . . it'd make things MUCH easier.

Great program, still, however. I likes it!

Thanks,

Matt the PM
'The Light PM', Thursday afternoons at 1400 CT on Radio Freedom, http://www.radio-freedom.com.
Also, be sure to catch us on WARP Radio Network, http://www.warp-radio.com
maxquad
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby kevinb » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:05 am

Hi... I'm running DRS STD package to an external audio processor (Orban Optimod) and into an FM Link.

How would I do this:

Run DRS Radio Studio, the DRS Audio Processor and Internet Broadcaster - all on the same PC.

Take an unprocessed feed to the external processor (as I am doing now) but then have the DRS audio processor activated and use this to process the audio going *only* to the Internet Broadcaster, but not to the FM link..

Can it be done?

Thanks

Kevin
kevinb
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby maxquad » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:46 am

Run DRS Radio Studio, the DRS Audio Processor and Internet Broadcaster - all on the same PC.

Take an unprocessed feed to the external processor (as I am doing now) but then have the DRS audio processor activated and use this to process the audio going *only* to the Internet Broadcaster, but not to the FM link.

I do not think DRS2006 will allow for this type of setup. I haven't seen any function that will allow dual simultaneous audio outs from DRS2006.
Why don't you run a parallel feed from your Optimod back into your computer for streaming as well as to your FM TX? That should sound excellent. . .

-M
'The Light PM', Thursday afternoons at 1400 CT on Radio Freedom, http://www.radio-freedom.com.
Also, be sure to catch us on WARP Radio Network, http://www.warp-radio.com
maxquad
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby kevinb » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:34 pm

Good idea Mazquad!

Thanks..
kevinb
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Dave Diamond » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 am

maxquad wrote:I do not think DRS2006 will allow for this type of setup. I haven't seen any function that will allow dual simultaneous audio outs from DRS2006.
Why don't you run a parallel feed from your Optimod back into your computer for streaming as well as to your FM TX? That should sound excellent. . .

-M

Try this http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/waveclone.html
http://getmarci.com for Shoutcast Song History display that's easy.
Dave Diamond
Administrator
Administrator

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks