Amazon Integration

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Amazon Integration

Postby BBRadio » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has managed to integrate Amazon into their site.

I did, and you can see it at http://www.beachbumradio.com.

My way is very simple, but it requires lots of work. For every CD title, I have to create .txt file with Artist - CD Title name. This way, every time new song is being sent by Webcasting Kit to my web server, php script compares that with .txt file. If it find it, it displays But Now button.

How do I display album title through Webcasting Kit? You have to enter album name in the 'Comments' field as well - in Audio Manager. You then display this on your page by using @COMMENT1@, as there is no @ALBUM1@ value :(.

I was thinking to use Comment field to place there Amazon ASIN number. This way, I believe I will be able (in theory) to create Buy Now link, which would look something like this:

<A HREF= "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/@COMMENT1@/associates_id">Buy It!</A>

So, ASIN number that I have entered in Audio Manager's comment field would be displayed in the url where @COMMENT1@ appears.

This way, instead of having to create separate text file for each album, I can simply enter ASIN number once for every song in DRS database, and hey, Bob's your uncle!

DOWNSIDE: If I use Comment field for ASIN number, I will not be able to display Album title on my page.

Does anyone have any ideas, or uses different solution?
Ivan
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:04 pm

I've done it. I put the ASIN in the Comment field. This field is included when the Webcasting Kit uploads the file. I have a PHP script that parses this file to display the playlist and create a "CD" link. The link initiates an ASIN search and displays the album details. You could probably do something similar to display the information the way you have it now. Visit my web site to see how I did it.

(I'm running a syndicated program until 14:00 EDT so there may not be much in the playlist until after the show is over)

I just re-read your post. You don't want to use the Comment field. That would present a problem if you also wanted to use it to display the Album.
Dave
Soft ' N Easy Net Radio

Tel: 1-888-256-0242
"Magic Of The 80's"
Saturdays 8PM EST and Sundays 12PM EST.
Dave B
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby BBRadio » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:33 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for fast reply. I have just had a look at your site, and have managed to see last four songs with CD link :).

Your solution looks very good indeed. I am willing to use comment field for ASIN, but I would like to be able to display Album Title info as well. If not, never mind. Your page looks elegant without CD title displayed. Also, your CD details page pulls info from Amazon in real time. It reminds me of Amazon Product Feed script, but I'm sure that is not the one.

How do you display CD tracks? Is this the case of XML feed, or a .text file?
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:09 pm

BBRadio wrote:How do you display CD tracks? Is this the case of XML feed, or a .text file?

XML feed. I just give Amazon the ASIN and it spits back all the relevant details. No need for an external database.

I don't use any particular script. I "borrowed" the XML parsing function from another script, but other than that it's my own custom thing. The function gives back an associative array of the details which I then use to build the web page.
Dave
Soft ' N Easy Net Radio

Tel: 1-888-256-0242
"Magic Of The 80's"
Saturdays 8PM EST and Sundays 12PM EST.
Dave B
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby BBRadio » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:21 pm

Oh, cool. I will try and sort something out, will keep you posted.
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks