Best Practices and Rules of Thumb

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Postby ultimatdjz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:29 pm

no i still use 2.11. i use v3 when i'm live DJing somewhere, but for automation it's not ready.

i do use the 24 playlists a day to ensure timeliness... if it loads a new playlist at every hour, the worst i'll be late is 3 or 4 minutes.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:40 pm

LT is there any way to load a day into Autoplay Manger like with 3.0 ?

I know there isn't a "load" command but maybe by doing an import directly into the database ?

As far as your playlist. Let me see if I get this correct.

1. You create a full 24hour MG playlist.
2. Use Daves splitter util to break the list into 1 hour playlist files ?
3. Use Autoplay Manager to load a new playlist ever hour.

Is this correct ???

If you don't split/load the playlist every hour does DRS play the entire playlist even when you overfill an hour clock ? Is this the issue with loading an entire 24hour clock ?

I think you told me you don't use autoplay run any liners, ids or anything other than load playlist, is this correct ?

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:42 am

the autoplay manager isn't functional in the version 3 yet.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby jeisenzimmer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:50 am

LT,

Inquiring minds wanna know...lol

Where do you get the playlist splitter? Just wanted to play with it to see what it can do.. I know, I'm like a kid in a toy store...lol
Jeremy Eisenzimmer
Extreme Sound & Light
Devils Lake, ND
jeisenzimmer
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:20 pm

Jeremy I wanted to ask you... how do you handle new songs and changed in DRS <--> MG ?

LT says he just adds in them in both places but when you are adding a lot of content thats tough to do. Just wondering what your workflow is like when you add or remove music.

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:56 pm

unfortunately, without redoing the entire database (including manually setting sound codes for each MG entry), you can't import a part of the database. (that i'm aware of). it doesn't take that much time, by the time you've entered it into the DRS database, take an extra 20 seconds and do it in the MG database as well... it really only takes me that long. it's not that big of a deal.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:23 am

LT, I understand where you are coming from on the db issue. And I can see that once you get all of your library imported that then its just maintainence. Moving songs out of your A's and B's and stuff like that. But I have 300 new files to add into a new category and that is not some thing I want to do by hand.

I agree about the sound codes and I am just now coding my MG library with codes but I like using DRS as my master and then bring every thing into MG for scheduling.

I just wish their was little better way of keeping the two in sync. Oh well, maybe 3.0 will be in our near future. :)

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:41 am

300 is a lot at once, ESPECIALLY if you have already set your sound codes of th erest of your databse. that would sux, but i'm afraid if i were in that situation, iw ould have to bite the bullet and set aside an hour or two one day and do all of them. cause it's better than reimporting the WHOLE thing and REDOING ALL the sound codes.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:45 pm

I have not done enough investigation but I wonder if it would be possible to use the 3.0 as the master db for all audio. Follow my logic and tell me where it breaks down.

- The idea would be to enter every thing into 3.0 then export that to MG. This would support sound codes, tempo, etc.

- Import into MG
Generate the log and export

- Use Convert to create a 3.0 -> 2.11 db

- Import playlist into 2.11

What do you think, does this sound like a plausable strategy ?

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:54 am

it would except sound code (so far as i'm aware) is not an importable category for MG.. i'll do some more research on the matter, but i dont' think soundcodes can even be imported.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:09 am

I LIED!!!!! ok
here's the deal,

if yhou export the 2.11 database file (HRDat.dbf) there isn'ta field for soundcodes, however, if you export the v3 database, (DRSMain.dbf) sound code is listed. and you CAN import that soundcode into MG!!!! AWESOME! in ur questions, i have found an easier way! lol, yayyy!

keep in mind though, everytime you import your database into MG, your existing sounds will need to be deleted, because it will import doubles UNLESS YOU only import those new files. cause it will support duplicate entries in the MG database. hope that helps!

Lt
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:39 pm

Ok that comfirms what I thought because it looks like the 3.0 database schema had all the fields you could ever want. :)

And yes you are right about double imports. What I do is backup MG using the built in utility (just in case I mess up) then I select All Category and delete all files, then do the import.

What I haven't worked with extensively is the convert util and the 3.0 --> 2.11 function. Obviously I did the 2.11 --> 3.0 so this is the one step I need to experiment with.

My thought in all of this is it would be nice to start populating the 3.0 db in anticipation of moving in that direction. Now if AutoPlay was turned on in 3.0 we would be in fat city. :P

LT, keep me posted on your progress. Also if you find any tricks in going to and from MG to 3.

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:53 pm

yeah i wasn't aware of that capability, cause i didn'dt use v3 when i setup musicgen back in the day. however, i DO enter the music in the V3 databae and just back convert it to v2 IN THE ANTICIPATION for moving to v3 soon. it's really easy though, no confusion. you only have to hit one button, top right, 3.0>2.x. press that one and it will convert your DRSmain.dbf INTO your HRDat.dbf. and all is good!

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby LeeL » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:08 am

LT have you done any more work with 3.0 Audiomanager and MG ? I am wondering if you have started using 3.0 as your master db and then exporting to MG from there ?

Looking for any got ya's ? One of the things I noticed is that 3.0 allows for longer titles than 2.11 so I guess as long as export back to 2.11 db so it truncates the title every thing should be fine.

Lee
LeeL
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby jeisenzimmer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:57 am

I have done that a little bit, and actually it works quite well. When you want to export, you have to select the record AFTER the last one MusicGen has, and export from there on. You can select that when you go "Export Table" Just select "Next _____ from current record".
Jeremy Eisenzimmer
Extreme Sound & Light
Devils Lake, ND
jeisenzimmer
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

PreviousNext

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks