DRSers Lend Me Your Ears ( Setting up Behringer equipment)

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Configuring the Equipment for Optimal Performance

Postby kioni » Sun May 08, 2005 5:41 pm

ultimatdjz wrote:well, kioni, from what i've been told, that will work but there is a better way to do it, IN WHICH i am experimenting later today (after i go buy some new gear! :lol: ) ok, using these tools... run line out from ur computer to your mixer, a stereo channel. using aux out (stereo) run it to the COMPRESSOR, use the aux return to return the compression to the mixer. then run master out from the mixer to the line in ont he computer....mic and voice processor fit as such. proccessor and compressor are two totally different components designed for totally different purposes.

LT, thanks for this input. My Behringer MIC2200 Ultragain Pro will arrive Tuesday. I am going to experiment with the setup you described. Although I don't like to fix what ain't broken, I am open to doing it better.

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby pouterson » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Kioni,

Why are you running a compressor/exciter with your Ultramizer? Are you using it to strengthen your signal out? I'm new to the external processing piece of this. Thanks.

Paul
pouterson
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby kioni » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:55 pm

pouterson wrote:Kioni,

Why are you running a compressor/exciter with your Ultramizer? Are you using it to strengthen your signal out? I'm new to the external processing piece of this. Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul!

The Composer Pro functions as the final peak limiter in the airchain. The Ultramizer can miss some peaks and the Composer Pro makes up for it. It also allows me to push the volume up further as you wisely surmised. Listen to my shoutcast stream and give me your assessment. Although I broadcast 64k 44kHz mp3pro, the shoutcast stream doesn't give you the full fidelity as my live 365 stream which is true mp3pro.

Happy Broadcasting!
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

SCRUNCH

Postby Dave Diamond » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:54 pm

kioni wrote:My current setup has the audio from the main out on the mixer going into the Ultramizer ->> to the Composer ->> to the Mic input of the sound card.

Kioni,

I'm just seeing this post for the first time and I have to ask why you are running your audio into the Ultramizer and then into the Composer? The Ultramizer has a compression algorithm in the unit.

Essentially what you are doing is maximizing your output only to scrunch it again with the Composer compressor. You would get a much better sound if you first compressed the signal then used the Ultramizer. Let alone simply using the Ultramizer by itself.

IMHO
http://getmarci.com for Shoutcast Song History display that's easy.
Dave Diamond
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SCRUNCH

Postby kioni » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:58 pm

Dave Diamond wrote:I'm just seeing this post for the first time and I have to ask why you are running your audio into the Ultramizer and then into the Composer? The Ultramizer has a compression algorithm in the unit. Essentially what you are doing is maximizing your output only to scrunch it again with the Composer compressor. You would get a much better sound if you first compressed the signal then used the Ultramizer. Let alone simply using the Ultramizer by itself. MHO

Hey Dave :)

Good questiion. I got the idea for this particular air chain configuration online doing research. Supposedly, the Composer Pro-XL will further clean up the sound once it leaves the Ultramizer Pro. I ran the setup by the Behringer tech support staff and got favorable response. I tried the configuration you suggested before. When I turn off the Composer Pro, there is a barely noticeable drop in sound volume. I do not use the Ultramizer Pro for AGC only for program enhancement. The Composer Pro is used as the AGC. Evidently my settings are good.

I am also now using M-Audio Delta 44 Professional 4 In/4Out Audio Card. I highly recommend anyone serious about internet radio throw away their old sound cards and get the Delta 44 or 66. The sound is crystal clear and actually cleared up problems I had using OTC sound cards.

IMHO too 8)

Happy Broadcasting!
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Previous

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks