DRSers Lend Me Your Ears ( Setting up Behringer equipment)

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

DRSers Lend Me Your Ears ( Setting up Behringer equipment)

Postby kioni » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:26 am

Hey DRSers, I could use your helpful feedback please.

I have the Ultramizer Pro and the Composer Pro XL airchained now; I unistalled the DRS2006 Broadcast Processor Pro. I will confess to being in new territory with this equipment. I worked at radio stations across the USA, but never once looked under the hood. Taking transmitter readings and of course knowing how to fire the transmitter up was as far as I cared to go other than my on air duties.

Anyway, I am using these settings. take a listen and tell me what you think. Your input is valued and appreciated. BVy the way my format is smooth jazz and smooth r&B. Thanks!

Ultramizer Pro DSP 1400P

Mode: C (couple)
Max out level: 0
Ultramizer Density 40
Ultramizer Speed 40
Ultramizer Range 15
Exciter Process 15
Exciter Tune 8.0 kHz
Super Bass Process 15
Super Bass Tune 90
3D Surround Width 10
Crossover Frequency 160 Hz

Composer Pro-XL MDX2600

Expander Gate Threshold: -40dB
Expander Gate Release: Fast
Expander Gate Ratio: Full Counter-Clockwise
Compressor/Limiter Threshold: 0
Compressor/Limiter Ratio: Full Counter-Clockwise
Compressor/Limiter Attack/Release: Auto
Compressor/Limiter Output: 0
Peak Limiter Threshold: +6
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

New Settings on the Behringer Ultramizer

Postby kioni » Wed May 04, 2005 1:44 am

Wow, I just knew my previous post regarding the Behringer equipment would bring lots of response from fellow jock heads. But not one single solitary remark is uh . . . amusing to say the least :roll:

Anyway, I am slowly rotating through the two dozen factory presets on the Behringer Ultramizer DSP 1400P. I have not changed the Composer Pro-XL from the settings I posted earlier. While the sound coming across the internet is nice and fat, I get some distortion in the high ranges on the FM frequency. Virgin ears probably wouldn't notice it, but I can. If anyone is interested, the Ultramizer settings I am using now are:

It's Pop

Mode: Couple)
Max. Out Level: 0
Ultramizer Density: 50
Ultramizer Speed: 55
Ultramizer Range: 3
Denoiser Threshold: -87
Denoiser Sensitivity: 0
Exciter Process: 29
Exciter Tune: 9.0 kHz
Super Bass Process: 18
Super Bass Tune: 80
3D Surround Stereo Width: 30
Crossover Frequency 125 Hz

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby Rocket88 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:12 am

Kioni, if you look at the view counts , activity is dropping ,,,

i sorta replied but not officially. i;m curious what the expander's ratio is when its fully cc..

K you have some top rated items there. and i will listen in the am and contact you..

i'm surprised also about the lack of replies..

damfino
Later,
Rocket88
Rocket88
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Wed May 04, 2005 7:16 am

i was actually waitin on replies too, because i have the same module, well one of them. the behringer composer pro xl, and i dunno how to set it either. LOL, i'm actually trying to set it up to ONLY process my voice for my voiceover work that i do for a few stations. i seem to have a TINY little hiss or hum, that i can't get rid of, and i bought the compressor hoping it owuld fix it, but cant seem to figure it out... any ideas? lol

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby kioni » Wed May 04, 2005 8:51 pm

ultimatdjz wrote:i was actually waitin on replies too, because i have the same module, well one of them. the behringer composer pro xl, and i dunno how to set it either. LOL, i'm actually trying to set it up to ONLY process my voice for my voiceover work that i do for a few stations. i seem to have a TINY little hiss or hum, that i can't get rid of, and i bought the compressor hoping it owuld fix it, but cant seem to figure it out... any ideas? lolLT

Hi LT, thanks for the reply. have you tried the settings I posted for the Composer Pro -XL? Also, are you using the side chain feature for your microphone or otherwise? I am planning on using the side chain feature since it auto fades when the mic is keyed. However the Behringer B-2 Pro i have seems to need a preamp. I had it connected over the weekend and the sound was lousy to say the least. PresentlyI am using a high end radio shack mic, but I don't use a preamp with my system. So, I am thinking I need to put a preamp in the chain for the mic at least.

My current setup has the audio from the main out on the mixer going into the Ultramizer ->> to the Composer ->> to the Mic input of the sound card. Then from the sound card output ->> back into the mixer. Of course for now my mic is directly connected to the mixer, but using the composer side chain the mic will feed through the phantom supply ->> to the composer side chain input - >> then to the mixer. Does that sound about right?

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Composer Expander Ratio Setting

Postby kioni » Wed May 04, 2005 8:55 pm

Rocket88 wrote: i sorta replied but not officially. i;m curious what the expander's ratio is when its fully cc..

Hey Randy!

The Composer ratio is set to 1.1 for the time being? Why do you ask?

Thanks for all the help too :-)

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Wed May 04, 2005 9:53 pm

that sounds about right... i hvae a behringer b1 pro, LOL, so it sounds like great minds think alike... i do'nt have my power supply yet, that's what's holding me up. after i get it, i think i could get it working better... i see what yo'ure saying, but til i get that preamp i'm afraid i wont' be able to test your settings.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby BBRadio » Thu May 05, 2005 9:44 pm

Hey kioni,

I am using Ultramizer Pro 1400P, and knowing nothing about these things I just let it rip on preset 12, which is (off to fetch manual) 'The Voice'. I used to run it on preset 15 - 'Want it all?' but have changet this since I started testing on accPlus stream at 32k. It gives me more low end'.

Not completely happy with the sound - actually, it is awesome at 32k, but some songs are 'pumping' too much. My audio card is cheapo that came on motherboard, so that will need to be upgraded. Once I finish university in 3 weeks time I'll spend more time playing with settings.

By the way, my station is only part of my uni coursework - a 'deliverable'.
Ivan
BBRadio
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby Rocket88 » Fri May 06, 2005 5:44 am

K, we played your stream yesterday at work and it sounds very very good!! i found no fault in it.. today i had to spend at the old sawbones office ...

the question about the ratio was me being curious..

keep up the good work..
Later,
Rocket88
Rocket88
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Listening to My Station

Postby kioni » Fri May 06, 2005 3:23 pm

Rocket88 wrote:K, we played your stream yesterday at work and it sounds very very good!! i found no fault in it.. today i had to spend at the old sawbones office ...

Randy, thank you for the vote of confidence :D
Yesterday was very frustrating because the cable company was doing something that kept interrupting my service. Grrrrrrrrr! At one point, I had dozens of listeners streaming and the next second I looked up, they were all gone! A quick glance at the cable modem and sure enough it was rebooting. Very embarrasing to say the least.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby kioni » Fri May 06, 2005 4:30 pm

ultimatdjz wrote:that sounds about right... i hvae a behringer b1 pro

LT,

I am now using my Beheringer B-2 Pro and oh how sweet it is!
While on the phone with a tech at zzounds.com he figured out why I was getting the horrible feedback. I had both the mic and the signal from the Composer Pro - XL running into the Mic input on the sound card. I inserted the mix from the Composer into the Line-in input and left the mic on the Mic input and that solved the problem. I don't have to purchase a pre-amp, although I will. I want to uitlize the auto fade feature of the Composer so I don't have to manually click Drop Now on the DRS v2.11 Pro.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Ratio Setting

Postby kioni » Fri May 06, 2005 4:38 pm

Rocket88 wrote: today i had to spend at the old sawbones office ... the question about the ratio was me being curious.. .

Randy, I hope all goes well at the sawbones office.

Regarding the ratio on the Behringer Pro - XL: I recalibrated it yesterday evening after reading the manual for the umpteenth time. Ratio is now set a little above 2.2
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Fri May 06, 2005 5:19 pm

well, kioni,
from what i've been told, that will work but there is a better way to do it, IN WHICH i am experimenting later today (after i go buy some new gear! :lol: )

the IDEAL situation is this equipment:

computer with sound card with line in and line out only)
mixer
compressor
voice processor
mic

ok, using these tools...
run line out from ur computer to your mixer, a stereo channel. using aux out (stereo) run it to the COMPRESSOR, use the aux return to return the compression to the mixer. then run master out from the mixer to the line in ont he computer....

mic and voice processor fit as such. proccessor and compressor are two totally different components designed for totally different purposes.
the mix doens't need to be stereo, so use aux send 2 FROM MIC CHANNEL to voice processor and return. you can opt to have the aux send 1 (to main compressor) on mic channel if you wish, however, voice processor will do all you need. so i run the voice processor ONLY on mic channel and compressor on ALL OTHER channels besides mic. then run master outs to line in on computer and you have a kickass sounding music stream (with compression, and equalization) AND you have kickass sounding voicework or jocks because their voice is going through VOICE compression and processing (MUCH different than audio processing). THIS ALSO works when you provide voiceover work or VoiceTrax or other voice work to other stations. Process yourself and make yourself sound big and ballsy and kickass befor eyou send it anywhere, then your other stations are like, *beep*, how is he sounding so good, and then you tell them, "oh that's just how i talk."

haha, hope this helps... of course, this is all theoretical. i will be including the voice processor in my system later today. HOWEVER compressor and equalizer with mixer and line in is already the setup in my case. check out the stream if you want to hear some of the sound. you won't notice the voice processor difference unless someone talks... but in that case, check out Club Hott starting back up again next saturday, (not tomorrow) but the week after.

hope all else is well and this made some sense... leave me some feedback if this helped or not.

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Rocket88 » Sat May 07, 2005 5:48 am

Kioni, still sounds great... btw did you receive the mgen dbase and log?
Later,
Rocket88
Rocket88
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Got the Mgen Dbase

Postby kioni » Sat May 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Rocket88 wrote:Kioni, still sounds great... btw did you receive the mgen dbase and log?

Yeah Randy Rocket, I have the mgen dbase and log. Already imported it into mgen. I will play with the program some this weekend. Thanks for the help, you da man :D

Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Next

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks