Compressor/Limiter Settings

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Compressor/Limiter Settings

Postby kioni » Sun May 08, 2005 5:48 pm

Hey guys, I sure could use some feedback. Although my station sounds great online, I do have some issues with the FM feed. On some songs, the highs of instruments like cymbals, tamborines, etc. have a distorted sound and is it buggin me to no end. I finally was able to eliminate about 75% of it by making adjustments to the Composer Pro-XL Dynamic Processor last night. However, I noticed that on some songs the problem persist. I confess I am a novice in this area and can use some helpful guidance to clean up the sound coming across the FM band. Weird that it isn't in the Internet feed.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Rendy » Sun May 08, 2005 7:33 pm

Hey Kioni,

I believe for FM transmission, you have to filter out (Low-Pass Filter) frequencies above 15KHz. In fact, if I'm not wrong, it's required by the FCC or some regulation stuff.
Rendy
DRS 2006 Support Center
DRS 2006 - Rendy
DRS'er
DRS'er

frequencies above 15KHz

Postby kioni » Sun May 08, 2005 7:59 pm

DRS 2006 - Rendy wrote:I believe for FM transmission, you have to filter out (Low-Pass Filter) . In fact, if I'm not wrong, it's required by the FCC or some regulation stuff.

Hey Rendy, good to hear from you dude! :o

I didn't have the problem with the high frequencies before installing the new equipment. In fact I recall when you helped me out with the broadcast processor pro jazz settings, the problem disappeared altogether. I only took this step because the BP Ppro locks up my computer after 6 hours of continuous playing.

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Rendy » Sun May 08, 2005 8:10 pm

Actually, in that jazz preset , I did reduce the high-band (Knowing that you are on FM), maybe that has prevented the distortion.

Now that you're using an external processor, maybe it has some enhancer effect that boost up the high frequencies. If there's an equalizer on your processor, try reducing the the high bands.
Rendy
DRS 2006 Support Center
DRS 2006 - Rendy
DRS'er
DRS'er

enhancer effect

Postby kioni » Sun May 08, 2005 8:24 pm

DRS 2006 - Rendy wrote:Actually, in that jazz preset , I did reduce the high-band (Knowing that you are on FM), maybe that has prevented the distortion. Now that you're using an external processor, I'm not sure if it has some enhancer effect that might boost up the high frequencies. If there's an equalizer on your processor, try reducing the the high bands particularly 15Khz and higher.

Hmmmmm, ok. The processor doesn't have an equalizer but there is an dynamic enhancer button on the MDX2600. The MDX1600 have both a switch and rotary dial to adjust the enhancer, mine does not have the rotary dial. The settings on my compressor are:

Expander Gate
Trigger: -20
Gate switch on - Release Switch off

Compressor/Limiter
Dual Mode/Couple

Threshold: +20db
Ratio: 4.1
Lo Contour: on
Release/Attack: Auto on
Interact Knee: on
Enhancer: On
Output +15db
Peak Limiter: +6db

see anything amiss?
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby Rocket88 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:43 am

Hi K, what sounds ok on the net could be way out on fm.. check your xmtr and verify that the pre-emphasis is set on 75,,, some xmtrs have capability of 50 which will increase high end overshoot..

if the fm's condition has started since the addition of the outboard processor then the pre emphasis is probably not a factor..

and start the eq to roll off the high end at around 12k so at 16k the setting will be 40 db down,,, better to lose some high end than break the 15k bandwidth,,,because then the harmonics start to show up and with that RFI, and then its a bad day...
Later,
Rocket88
Rocket88
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks