Finally everything is in place and cookin'

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Finally everything is in place and cookin'

Postby kioni » Fri May 13, 2005 6:16 pm

After many sleepless nights, cussin and swearing everything is in place and working. :D

LT, your post on how to set the equipment up solved two of the persistant problems I had.

1) distorted highs
2) low gain on my mixer

Randy Rocket, thanks for the tip on raising the Ratio to 4.1. That simple adjustment worked wonders too!

Last night I added the Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC2200 Preamp in the airchain. The MIC2200 makes the B-2 Pro mic sound very warm and fat, I am amazed by the sound quality. Now that I have the low gain problem solved on the mixer, the Ultramizer Pro 1400P and the Composer Pro-XL MDX2600 gives the stream that fat FM sound and depth that we all want.

My only peeve is not knowing how to configure the Composer Pro-XL Processor to act as an AGP. The manual does not indicate the function as AGP but IGC (Interactive Gain Control) peak Limiter. So, keeping the sound levels consistent is the last challenge I need to overcome. Any advice?

Regards,
Kioni
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Re: Finally everything is in place and cookin'

Postby Dave B » Fri May 13, 2005 10:22 pm

kioni wrote:My only peeve is not knowing how to configure the Composer Pro-XL Processor to act as an AGP. The manual does not indicate the function as AGP but IGC (Interactive Gain Control) peak Limiter. So, keeping the sound levels consistent is the last challenge I need to overcome. Any advice?

Regards,
Kioni

Kioni,
I can't really get my Composer Pro to act as a AGC very well. Not without making the audio sound over-processed anyway. I am considering the Ultramizer myself as a replacement for my Composer Pro. I guess you need yours for the "ducking" feature in the sidechain?
Dave
Soft ' N Easy Net Radio

Tel: 1-888-256-0242
"Magic Of The 80's"
Saturdays 8PM EST and Sundays 12PM EST.
Dave B
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Re: Finally everything is in place and cookin'

Postby kioni » Fri May 13, 2005 11:20 pm

Dave B wrote:I can't really get my Composer Pro to act as a AGC very well. Not without making the audio sound over-processed anyway. I am considering the Ultramizer myself as a replacement for my Composer Pro. I guess you need yours for the "ducking" feature in the sidechain?

Dave below is what Behringer support sent me. I am experimenting with the settings suggested now. I wasn't successful activating the "ducking" feature and am sure there are some steps involved not mentioned in the documentaion. Since DRS has the "Drop Now" feature, I can live without the "ducking" I am however running the B-2 Pro through the Ultragain Pro MIC2200 and boy oh boy I never sounded better! :lol:

Regards,
Kioni

===
Since the MDX2600 has both the full 'compressor' section, and then an additional 'peak limiter' stage, what I would recommend trying would be to set the 'compressor' part to a relatively low ratio - say, in the 2-to-1 to 4-to-1 range, - then bring down the THRESHOLD until the compressor is doing gain reduction most of the time. Then use the 'makeup gain' (OUTPUT) knob to bring the level back up to where you want it (it's often referred to as makeup gain because you're 'making up' for the gain reduction that the compressor did), and then bring the LIMITER threshold knob down (turning the limiter knob counter-clockwise lowers the threshold level that engages the peak-limiter circuit) to control how loud the loudest 'peaks' will be allowed to be (so you can keep from 'clipping' or distorting your broadcast signal).

Basically, you'll probably want to use the compressor section at a more gentle (low threshold, low ratio, 'auto' attack/release and interactive knee settings enabled) compression setting to gently compress the whole program to make all the volume levels 'more the same', then use the limiter as a 'peak limiter' to control the maximum 'peak volume' that will be allowed to come out.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... mpression/

http://homerecording.about.com/od/techn ... c_comp.htm

http://emusician.com/editorspicks/Dynam ... ssion_101/
==
kioni
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks