Big News! One Soundcard+One USB Mixer=Pre-Listening!

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Big News! One Soundcard+One USB Mixer=Pre-Listening!

Postby X100 NetRock Radio » Wed May 18, 2005 7:40 pm

I am pretty new to online broadcasting, but worked at a rock station in Tampa, FL for awhile. I have been setting up an on-air studio for the last month or so, and just recently bought an Alesis MultiMix8 USB mixer board. I run my station from a laptop computer with a stock soundcard (nothing special). From everything I have read in these forums, most people are under the impression that they cannot play audio items aside from DRS without them going into the broadcast.

BUT! With a USB mixer, this is no longer the case. Let me explain...

This is my airchain as of right now - Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop computer running OARS and Broadcast Processor. From the headphone jack out, a stereo cable runs into the board where it has its own fader (eliminating the need for the DRS Drop Now feature, not to mention there is no delay changing the volume when using the Broadcast Processor). I have a condenser mic running into the board as well. From there, the mixdown broadcast signal goes out of the board via USB back into the same laptop using the USB port as a line-in. When the mixer is plugged into the comp, the device manager automatically assigns it as a line-in that bypasses the soundcard.

At the Internet Broadcaster, configure it to pull audio from the USB Audio COdec. Now the mixing board is in control of the program volume, not DRS!

But here is the real beauty. Since the USB is highly advanced, it can act as a two-way street for audio signals...With the simple push of a button, the mixer will pull audio from the computer (internet sites, instant messengers, winamp, etc) without rebroadcasting it into your webcast, and of course, your broadcast in unaffected. It simply puts it through your studio monitors! This is really freakin cool when you open up WinAmp to play your own signal. That way you can monitor your air signal to see how your programming sounds. And with enough delay, you can switch over and listen to whatever break you just cut.

If you need a better understanding or if it doesn't make sense, drop me a line. I will try to better explain.
X100 NetRock Radio
Extreme Broadcaster
Extreme Broadcaster

Postby X100 NetRock Radio » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:48 am

I am kind of surprised...no one has responded with anything. I thought at least someone would be happy about this. I about dropped a load when I figured out that I could do this.

Oh wait, I know what it is...after everyone reads this, they're so excited that they pee themselves and forget to reply after cleaning themselves up. I understand it now.
X100 NetRock Radio
Extreme Broadcaster
Extreme Broadcaster

Postby WLAS 90.7 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:11 am

Ewwwww, gross!

Nice application of the USB mixer, the same can also be accomplished by adding additional soundcards, or on outboard USB audio device (ie: the add-on USB devices made for laptops by soundblaster and others).

The bigger problem, is that with Pro 2.11 there's no way to load music into the database and assign it cues, while using OARS. The audio playback from Audio Manager and from OARS both use the default sound device no matter how many are connected to the system. I previously used (and still do for my home-based podcast) BSI WaveStation in various versions, and although its a pretty buggy piece of software, the one feature I like better in Wave Station is the support for multiple audio cards for a cue return and an air return.

Not sure from what I read if this problem will be cured in enterprise edition or not.
Shawn M. Fink
WLAS 90.7 FM
Menorah Park Center for Senior Living
Beachwood, OH USA
WLAS 90.7
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby X100 NetRock Radio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:51 am

WLAS 90.7 wrote:The bigger problem, is that with Pro 2.11 there's no way to load music into the database and assign it cues, while using OARS. The audio playback from Audio Manager and from OARS both use the default sound device no matter how many are connected to the system. I previously used (and still do for my home-based podcast) BSI WaveStation in various versions, and although its a pretty buggy piece of software, the one feature I like better in Wave Station is the support for multiple audio cards for a cue return and an air return.

Not sure from what I read if this problem will be cured in enterprise edition or not.

This is not true...if you are using the Broadcast Processor, it will allow you to simulatenously add music and do other things while allowing your stream to go unaffected. The trick is all in the start-up sequence. The USB mixer has to remain unplugged until OARS is up and running. After that, then plug in the mixer. This makes it so that everything going out of OARS is through Line Out while every other sound (Audio manager, etc) is routed through the USB out.

It works....I used this setup for 6 months before disabling the Broadcast Processor.

Adam
X100 NetRock Radio
Extreme Broadcaster
Extreme Broadcaster

Postby WLAS 90.7 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:46 pm

Ah, there's the rub, I don't use the software processor, we use outboard processing at the transmitter.
Shawn M. Fink
WLAS 90.7 FM
Menorah Park Center for Senior Living
Beachwood, OH USA
WLAS 90.7
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Subarubrat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 pm

X100, thank you so much for bringing this up concerning the USB mixer. I have a 12 channel USB mixer that just showed up. To be honest I had planned on doing all analog then just going to the PC for digital recording. I have been out of radio for about 15 years and I have been considering getting back into it. I dusted off my old cart machines and other gear and as I dug around I discovered the wonderful new way of doing things, like DRS offers. An on screen cart machine is a world better than the old way.

Can you elaborate more on using a USB mixer's features? Can you pull specific audio streams and assign programs to channels? The mixer instructions don't cover any of this, anything you can tell me would be a great help.
Subarubrat
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: Big News! One Soundcard+One USB Mixer=Pre-Listening!

Postby suman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am

There are several external music scheduling applications which after tweaks works well with DRS2006: e.g. MusicMaster, Powergold and Music1. Maybe you can share you're "how to..." about MusicMaster here on this forum, Major Logan.

Fact is that Mark promised an integrated tool (Music Scheduler) years ago. Still nothing :?
Join online pass4sure pass Colorado Mesa University dumps exam in first try. Our best quality wikipedia training tutorials guide you well for real exam.
suman
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: Big News! One Soundcard+One USB Mixer=Pre-Listening!

Postby Stashu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I think USB mixers are a great way to solve broadcast and podcast interface issues. It's a great tool to 'go live' and integrate hardware into the DRS2006. You can even cue up a turntable and play vinyl live. Then, go back to the automation. It's a phenomenal tool. Any source you can plug into channels on a board, you can get into the DRS. From mp3 players to ... well, you name it.
If you get a USB mixer with a decent Aux system, you even have a cue buss.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks