Inserting DJ Break in Playlist

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Inserting DJ Break in Playlist

Postby RCMTech » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Can anyone help me with this. I am using the Pro version 2.2.
I want to set it up so that I can have a DJ come in after 2 or 3 items are played from a palylist loaded at the top of the hour. (1 is a Dynamic file). A DJ Break is inserted in the list as the 3rd item. The Autoplay manager stops untill I load another play list with the autoplay manager after the DJs show ends in 3 hours.
The autoplay playlist now continues untill it is renewed in several hours.
My issue is that the playlist with the DJ Break in it does not load at the top of the hour. The autoplay manager loads the previously played playlist and starts to play it. The list with the DJ Break never loads into the ON AIR Radio Studio.
Is there a way I can do this. I want to make it easy for the DJ. to transition from Autoplay to Live assist and back.

I hope someone can help me- Thanks
RCM Tech Ops
RCMTech
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:27 am

Until someone from DRS2006 clears that up for you, I have a suggestion.
Use an audio editor to record a blank 2 minute track. Do not put an end cue on it. Call the .mp3 'DJ Break' [or somrthing that will remind you it's a blank], and insert it wherever you want. It can actually be any length you want. I would suggest using a longer 'Silence' detector setting, so that you don't go into the next element too soon.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Inseting DJ Break

Postby RCMTech » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks Stashu for the tip.
Unfortunately the DJ break I want is 3 hours long.
It's a live classical music show.
I just want the Autoplay manager to stop at the appropriate time and restart 3 hours later with minimal DJ interaction.
RCM Tech Ops
RCMTech
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:51 pm

Well, if it's a 'live' show, just pressing 'STOP', and shutting down the OARS module should do it.
Then, sometime in the last quarter hour of the 'live' show, the Producer turns on the OARS, and sets up the next events.
If you need to run commercials, or elements, you can always program the spot breaks ahead using the 'On Air DJ Studio' or Virtual Cart Machine.
This worked with all automation systems, when the station would go 'live' for a morning or afternoon drive show, or for weekend programming.
The automation system was always turned off or taken off line for the live shows, then turned back on for auto-programming.
I like how the DRSD2006 works for live assist with the DJ breaks, but, if you are switching to a real live broadcast, the best way is to turn off the automation.
Use the DJ Studio or Cart Machine for 'live'. I find the On Air DJ Studio is very flexible with live programming.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:47 am

RCMTech,
Did that info help? It seemed like your answer was to pick a 'live' work-around.
Did you solve your problem?
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks