"This file is is damaged or can't be used"

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

"This file is is damaged or can't be used"

Postby BigWillie » Wed May 14, 2014 9:15 am

I use Adobe Audition CS6 to build CAs and voice overs and what not for my radio programs. I use MP3 with 128 Kbps for vocals and music beds. How come after doing mixdowns and saving to an MP3 file I get this message ("This file is is damaged or can't be used") when I insert the new CAs in to DRS? Yes, I do save the file into the Music Folder in DRS! " I've had this trouble before and I know my formats are correct. What is wrong? Hope you can help? :shock:
BigWillie
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: "This file is is damaged or can't be used"

Postby Stashu » Wed May 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Here are a few simple things to check.
First, playback the files in some other software. See if they work with Windows Media Player or QuickTime, etc.
Sometimes files will play fine in the host software, but not in other programs. Open whatever test program you'll use first, then, use Open from the file menu to start play. Simply double clicking on the file will use your original player. So, open your software, then open the file from there.
Also, check to see if you are using Constant Bit Rate [CBR] rather than Variable Bit Rate. This, too, will play in the originating software but won't play nice with others.
You've already said you made .mp3s. Some people use software that makes .meu or other 'link' type files. These files are just links, not .mp3s and will give error messages like that.
Good luck. Once you find the fix, you'll be golden.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby BigWillie » Wed May 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Stashu, thanks for replying! I do use Constant Bit Rate [CBR], so not sure what's going on yet. I went to the Adobe Forum and a guy said he would use a hex editor to find the trouble...interesting! Everything has been working alright till now and I've made lots of MP3 CAs to use for my American Broadcasting School. I graduate May 16! My instructor has not answered back yet about the problem.
BigWillie
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Wed May 14, 2014 9:50 pm

First of all, Congratulations! Good Luck.
Second, do you have another editing program? Or, another way to make the .mp3s with the same sample rate and specs. Try using your original files for that.
You can always use Sound Recorder on the PC. It's still a stock program on Windows 8. I think it still makes .mp3s. Use the same specs as you did with Adobe.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby BigWillie » Thu May 15, 2014 1:20 am

I have Windows 7 man. I'll download and install Audacity. Still having troubles. Thank you anyway! :)
BigWillie
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 am

Audacity is great. You can make the .mp3s from there.
Again, good luck!
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby BigWillie » Thu May 15, 2014 7:19 am

I may have found my Adobe Audition troubles; I set my Bit Depth to 16 as I caught the setting at 24! I was using 16 and it worked before;so set it to 16 and voice overs and music seems to work now, I tested it. Wonder how it got changed as I left it alone as it worked! Sample Rate is set to 44100, that is good and set to MP3 128 Kbps CBR, that works OK too! Wonder, what the s...?LMAO, Made a MP3 crazy jingle with music bed and it loaded into DRS 2006 this time. I think my DRS likes to be naughty! If you want to hear the MP3 let me know! Thanks for all your help! I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. :D
BigWillie
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Thu May 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Great!
Glad you caught it. Sometimes software will switch to accommodate a sound card regardless of what you need. Often, I check all setting before I make any master files to clients. It takes one little thing like you discovered to throw the whole thing off.
Again, glad you caught it. It's all good.
Now, have a great graduation, and celebrate!
Best wishes,
Stashu
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks