Any tricks in V4 to get items less than 3 min to play

Take these pearls of wisdom and run. Read insightful views from many who have discovered shortcuts when using the DRS 2006 Audio Manager, mp3 tools for taming that out of control music library and lessons taught from those who learned them the hard way. Do yourself a favor and read this forum. You too will become a DRS'er.

Any tricks in V4 to get items less than 3 min to play

Postby asmith2013 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:13 am

We have been delaying our use of Version 4 at our radio station as we cannot figure out a way to schedule items that are less than 3 min to play since there is not an event manager like in v2. Anyone have any suggestions or is there a way to change the time on the calendar so we can put station ids (5 - 12 sec in length) or PSAs or Promos (30 sec - 60 sec) or Sponsorships (15 - 30 sec) or Community Events (1 to 2 min in length) or short programs (1 min and 2 min) into the calendar. Not sure why 3 minutes was chosen as a minimum time length. Radio stations have MANY things they have to play in a schedule that are shorter than 3 min. The only way we can figure around it is to attach a song to the 5 sec Station ID or 60 sec PSA to bring the time up to 3 min. Not a good way to do it. We know we can put station IDs and PSAs into the shuffle mix as a category but for the short featured programs that are time and date sensitive, we cannot do that. They have to air at a set time on a set day. Same with sponsorship/underwriting announcements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
asmith2013
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: Any tricks in V4 to get items less than 3 min to play

Postby Stashu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure why you're having this difficulty. It may be in the 'Settings' area.
I have files as small as :03 to :04 and they work great. Not only do I have separators, and jingles, but songs that are between 2:00 and above.
Many of the Promos I have are between :20 and :40.
Check the settings in V4. There may be something that prevents them from playing correctly. You'll love V4. If you continue to have problems, check back on the forum, or, even better, put in a Ticket at the Help Desk above.
Good luck!
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby asmith2013 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Stashu? You are able to schedule items that are less than 3 min in length into the calendar? We cannot do that. It keeps saying the file is too short.... if there is a setting, any idea where it is? We still have not launched version 4 at one of the stations I am in charge of and I haven't even purchased v4 for my new FM station that I am about to launch for this reason. Thanks for any info
asmith2013
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:43 pm

When you say calendar, do you mean the Auto Play Manager?
I don't have that, bit I think the purpose of the Manager is to schedule playlists.
In the Auto Play Manager manual, here's an explanation:

"As already mentioned you can also set single database items. This works just like setting playlists or shuffle rotations. To set a single database item, you drag & drop a single item directly from the database on the right top. Please note that a single database items must have a minimum duration of 3 minutes."

So, I'm sure you're trying to set something like a station ID for the top of every hour. Or, something like that. If it's just one item like that, or a few, I'd say just make them a 3:10 file, set your cue tone to trip the next event as usual, and your set. If it's a number of items, I'd say check with the 'Help Desk'. Explain your issue and maybe the minimum can be dropped to 2 minutes or 1.5.
Hope this helps.

Stashu
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:07 pm

asmith,

Did you get your system up and running? Just checking.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby asmith2013 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 am

No Stashu not yet. Although I guess I could make the station ids 3min 10 sec and then have them end at 10 secs. It is a pain to do with so many programs and other items that are less than 3 min that need to be scheduled in the Autoplay manager, but I guess once I got use to it, it is possible to do using the autoplay manager calendar. Thanks for the suggestion. I think it will work - at least until Mark finally releases an event manager like we had in ver 2.
asmith2013
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Also, I just thought of this workaround for the timing issue. If you have a commercial set, you can make the whole set a scheduled element. If the set of three or four spots is larger than the minimum three minutes, you're good.
Then, the breaks could be scheduled at the times you need them.
For elements, such as a Station ID at the top of each hour, just make the file the obligatory minimum length to make it work. No real workaround for that short of an event.
Maybe Mark can make the Auto Play Manager work with a shorter file.
Stashu
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby asmith2013 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 am

Hi Stashu:

Yes, guess I could actually group sponsorships with PSAs and or community events to push them up to 3 min in length and then schedule them at set times. That would definitely work and also, the DJs could be aware of the fact that the event was scheduled to play at the top of the hour and would start off with a legal ID, thus giving them a 3 min break. This would work until Mark is able to get the other module created.

I do definitely want to use v 4 as I like the fact that you really only have to edit the MP3 tags and that's all - no manually entering each item into the database like in ver 2.

Thanks for your suggestion. Also, where abouts are you located in the US and did you ever think of maybe helping out a nearby LPFM? They usually really need knowledgeable people who are genuinely interested in radio. The pay stinks but it is a lot of fun. I love being able to drive down the road and hear things that I entered into the system.

Alan
asmith2013
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Alan,

I started thinking about the 3:00 idea in Version 4. I think the Auto Play Manager needs an 'event' of three minutes, not a 3:00 .mp3 file with an ID that cues after :05. So, a few ideas I was working on didn't work.
My idea of making commercial sets that length will do fine. Then, whoever is scheduling the spots can plug in the stop sets where needed.
I've tried to 'automate' things we did live in radio.
Some tricks I've used have been to add in a blank start file. I use a separator with :09 blank before the voice track. That way your song playing will trip the blank start file. The blank start file trips the next song, and in :09 the voice over 'stings' the music intro. Cool effect not heard since the 70s. I also have one that's stings the song at :15. Nobody expects a bumper over a song anymore. It's a different way of using a separator. Song plays, ends, fades, etc. Second song starts. The voice stings the intro into the song. When setting up your playlist, you can shift the end cues on the first song and shorten the 'sting' to fit the intro.
Oh, yeah, I'm in the mid-Atlantic area. Send me a private message.

Stashu
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Tips and Tricks