New Modules: Feature specs

Get involved with the constant growth of new versions of DRS 2006 radio automation now in development. Learn how to become a BETA tester and sample some of the most amazing software breakthroughs in broadcast automation found only in DRS 2006.

New Modules: Feature specs

Postby sean martin » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:42 am

This message is primarily destined for the attention of Mark.

In the absence of new betas and to help with future planning, I'd like to see a Feature Specification of what we can expect for the following 2 modules in their initial development, please:

1. Voice Tracker

2. Music Scheduler

I am especially interested to know if the Scheduler will feature a simple Playlist Generator and Event Management (as in 2.1) and "drag 'n drop" operation.

Thanks for the info.

-Sean
sean martin
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby jono » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:22 pm

I may be too late here, but before audio manager is finally closed, could a serial command be assigned to each cut. This would allow switching of satellite feeds , RDS TA flags etc.. Adding a simple unit like Broadcast tools switcher would allow 8 relay closures controlled by DRS. Would only mean added an extra field. When that item is played, the appropriate command string is sent to the com port.
I know DRS already do the Auto Device Control but this would allow a way of dropping such commands into the playlist.
Example if a Travel In Jingle was assigned a command it could raise the RDS TA flag. via the switch box. . Travel out jingle lower it again. A silent command could use a very short silent audio cut but still be assigned a serial command to switch satellite and news feeds etc. They could be given a category in audio manager and added anywhere into the playlist..

What do you think team??
jono
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby cdeacon » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:35 pm

Yes a good idea. I suggested something similar 2 years ago! I doubt it will be incorporated...
Chris Deacon
General Manager
Engineering & Development
ArtSound FM 92.7
Canberra
Australia
cdeacon
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Harrison » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 pm

Hi,

Our response is not this release, perhaps the next one.

Regards,
Harrison
DRS 2006 Support Center
DRS 2006 - Harrison
DRS'er
DRS'er

Postby sean martin » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:36 pm

Still no answer to my question !
sean martin
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby Tivoli » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:29 am

I asked a similar question about the upcoming "Remote" in a post a few days ago. It seems to me that the DRS team them self dont know what these modules will deliver. So we could probably rest asured that we wont get an aswer. All i Actually asked for was a YES or a NO but even that seems to be to much to ask.

I know we should be thankful for the interactive development wich gives us the advantage to learn the software before it's actually released. But I can't see any harm in discussing future features with the beta testers, as I know theres a tremedous amount of know how out there, we all want to help out for free.

I only bought the PRO licence so I could get the Enterprise version for free. I have no use of the 2.11 PRO licens, and I could not in my wildest imagination belive that it would take this much time to see a working 3.0.

Okey, it sounds like im nagging. But still I must say im prepared to wait because what I have seen so far keeps my hopes up.

ONLY ONE THING! STOP THIS ANNOYING SILENCE PLEASE!

Tivoli

SWEDEN
Tivoli
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Harrison » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:39 pm

Guys,

With respect but how many times do we need to say that we don't know yet, we haven't built it yet - when we begin we will ask for your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Harrison
DRS 2006 Support Center
DRS 2006 - Harrison
DRS'er
DRS'er

Postby Tivoli » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:50 pm

With respect but when you said that the Enterprise version would include a remote or voicetrack, that must have ment that you had some kind of idea what these applications would do. Or was it just an idéa that sounded cool at the sketchpad, with no features what so ever.

I'm pretty sure that you guys have got more than that!

Thats what i'm talking about, not what the final product will deliver.

With all the regards I could sum up (and thats a lot!).

TIVOLI
SWEDEN
:?:
Tivoli
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Rocket88 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:38 am

Tivoli wrote:I only bought the PRO licence so I could get the Enterprise version for free.
SWEDEN

I thought I saw you when we were riding on that turnip truck :shock:

International translation :: " well, at least I have some company"

Seriously , It will be released when its ready and Mark will make sure that it's been worth the wait...
Later,
Rocket88
Rocket88
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby ExtremeNetRadio » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:53 am

Turnip truck...lmao
ExtremeNetRadio
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby Andy Patrick » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:20 am

Hi all,

Harrison said " With respect but how many times do we need to say that we don't know yet, we haven't built it yet - when we begin we will ask for your thoughts and ideas. "

I cannot believe this is the case. If this is true then DRS have been misleading hundreds of users. We bought DRS V2 2 years ago. The deciding factor to go with DRS rather than alternative systems was the prospect of what V3 would bring (based on the interactive development). We never imagined in our wildest dreams that it would be more than 2 years and still no final version.

Don't get me wrong I think DRS is great and V3 promises to be superb BUT why does it take so long. ALL of the other systems we reviewed 2 years ago have been updated several times and now have the features we are still waiting for in DRS, and not all of them cost thousands of $.

Come on Mark, please be straight with us. It was last September you told us that after your US trip you would get on and finish it. The more time goes on the more I think that we will never see it and that we will need to ditch DRS and buy another system. Please proove me wrong.

Andy

[/quote]
Andy Patrick
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Harrison » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:08 pm

Guys,

We are not prepared to discuss what is at the moment an embryonic stage of development.

We may say one idea and then change it and disappoint thousands of users.

That I am sure you can appreciate.

We appreciate you are impatient and want to see this finished, so do we.

The more time Mark takes to respond to questions that are not necessary at this stage of development the less time he has to program.

As we reach the next stage we will discuss openly our ideas and gather your thoughts and ideas to improve upon those ideas.

DRS 2006 has never been anything less than honest and open with customers.

Let us get this last bit out of the way and we can discuss all you want to about the VT and RC modules.

Regards,
Harrison
DRS 2006 Support Center
DRS 2006 - Harrison
DRS'er
DRS'er

Postby Tivoli » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:02 am

Well thank you,

I'm sorry to say that I have to leave DRS!

I'm truly impressed by the misson to deliver a low cost automation software for the radio market, but this is taking it to far. My investors are looking for something that willl solve our problem, and DRS should be able to do that by now, but time is money and money is something that we haven't got lot's of.

I have just ended a meeting that ended up with the conclusion that DRS is not the way to go, I'M SORRY.

I will still keep on following the DRS progress, to see if we can use the license we have bought in some way. As you say you have been nothing but honest with your users, but enough is enough. We need to see some kind of promise, and not just the word that "we don't charge our users for the standard of software we deliver".

If you don't deliver someting soon you will loose all your confidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we are asking for is to be kept in the loop.

Tivoli
SWEDEN
Tivoli
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby ultimatdjz » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:30 am

as i'm sure we all are, i am anxious for the release of v3. HOWEVER, i feel i must remind people that V2 IS CAPABLE OF RUNNING YOUR STATION! the ONLY few capabilities that it lacks is that of a music scheduler (which is easily fixed by a free one from musicgen at this point, til v3 is ready) and a voicetracker, which in ANY other software costs at least an extra 1000 DOLLARS!!!! IN ADDITION to the original cost of the software... we must remember that while we anticipate the release of a kickass software, v2 is perfectly capable of running our stations. it runs mine flawlessly!

LT
LT
ultimatdjz
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby spiritfm » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:09 am

Hi,

Yes v2.11 can run a station but there's one BIG feature missing, and that is the prelistening. We have djs almost every program and its a bit hard going on-air without a prelistening feature. Yes V3 beta has the feature but it's still is NOT rock stable and I had a lot of BAD experience months ago that we where off the air day, thanks to MIXTIME we went back on air sooner while I fix the database of my V3 Beta. I ask the team if they can build a small prelistening module for v2.11 and they replied that you can have prelistening if you have another pc. We bought DRS mainly because its the cheapest in the market, now to buy another pc just to do prelistening is really STUPID. Right now I'm using OTS ($179xx) which everyone is happy here, I will still use DRS when its finished or will it be finished? by that time comes a lot of new same price software will be developed. A lot of software companies PAY people just to get ideas from people, DRS is getting tons of great ideas for FREE! the lease they can do is to make us happy by finishing the software ASAP. one last thing what happent to the "INTERACTIVE DEVELOPMENT" I think it should be renamed "NON-INTERACIVE DEVELOPMENT" it's been a month and nothing has been added :( I'm sooooo disappointed with DRS.
spiritfm
Fledgling Broadcaster
Fledgling Broadcaster

Next

Return to DRS 2006 Interactive Development