DRS Encoders CPU Usage!!

Get involved with the constant growth of new versions of DRS 2006 radio automation now in development. Learn how to become a BETA tester and sample some of the most amazing software breakthroughs in broadcast automation found only in DRS 2006.

Postby wmixradio » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:44 pm

Well it's BP that's causing the lock ups with DRS V3. I have only 10 processes running and still it locks up and it still says 820mb left of ram even with those processes running.Hey jeisenzimmer can i have a link to that external Behringer processor you got for a $100 i wanna talk a look at it so i can buy one and what mixer are you using with that jeisenzimmer?

Thanks
any other suggestions for a cheap external processor would be great.
wmixradio
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:38 am

Here's a great place for cheap ear candy!
Behringer among others.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search?c=4643

By the way, they are owned by Guitar Center. So, if you have one near you, check them also.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby wmixradio » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:17 am

So how would i use these extrenal processers? i have a sound blaster audigy 2 sound card.

And will it sound the same as if i was using BP in DRS?

What do you think of this one
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=r ... id/182438/

would be any good?

thanks
wmixradio
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby jeisenzimmer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:00 am

Bascially almost any mixer would work. Right now, I have it hooked to a cheap Gemini DJ mixer, and it runs just fine. (Kinda a low-budget operation, but with the right EQ and comp. it works just fine. :D).

Here's the compressor I use:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=l ... id/182475/

Basically you'd come OUT from your board IN to the processor, and then OUT from the processor IN to your line-in of your streaming machine.
Jeremy Eisenzimmer
Extreme Sound & Light
Devils Lake, ND
jeisenzimmer
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:18 am

Wow. We're all on the same page! I have the Ultrafex Pro at home, and I like the clean processing it does to the signal. And I'm sure the Jeremy's Behringer unit has the same results for him. If you have a Guitar Center near you, you may want to do a comparison between the units, and see (or hear) what you like better. They're both in the same price point.
If you have a question about the Broadcast Processors, contact the people on the db-audioware site to see if you have a conflict in your computer. They may take a day or two to return your email, but give 'em a try.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby wmixradio » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:03 pm

So how would i set up an external processor what do i need to do to get it pluged up as i mentioned im using a sound blaster audigy 2 sound card. So i have to have a mixer to use an external processer?
wmixradio
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Yep!

If you have a board, the output of the board goes into the processor, then the output of the Processor goes back into the computer to feed your signal.
I think the best thing for you to do if you want to keep everything in the box, is to go to the top of this page, and write the Help Desk. Get a ticket with your Processor/CPU problem, and they will come up with a solution. Also, as I wrote before, get in touch with db-audioware to help you from that end. Some one will have a solution to the CPU problem.
My two penny guess is that there is some conflict in your computer. Something is eating up RAM. From my experiences with DRS2006, I've never know it to run out. Up through the middle of 2004, I was running the DRS2006 Pro Package on a Pentium I, 166MB CPU, with 128mb of RAM. It would groan when I ran the Processor Demo, but it ran. It was slow, but it ran.

Again, try the Help Desk, and explain your problem, and even refer them to this string to show them what you've tried.

Good luck, Dude.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby wmixradio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:15 pm

i emailed Dave from db-audioware a few days ago and explained the problem im still waiting for a response from them.
I will have to buy an external processor just incase.
wmixradio
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby pouterson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:35 pm

Here's two things that I would do:

1. Get an external processor - I switched to external processing configuration about 6 months ago and haven't had the problems you describe since that time. It may be more expensive to go that route, my configuration ran about $400, but it was well worth it.

2. Consider changing your hardware platform - I've found AMD to be unreliable in many situations. If you have an Intel hardware platform, I'd suggest testing your config on that platform.

I realize that my suggestions are not the most cost effective but I can state that your compatiblity and performance issues should be eliminated.
pouterson
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby wmixradio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:30 pm

I thought AMD CPU's were made for audio applications? That's why i got that type of set up.Well i will have to now buy a whole new computer and build it using an intel set up.Its not worth it to me to go buy another system all over again.I would rather spend the money on getting external hardware than dealing with BP being picky on system set ups :wink:
wmixradio
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:08 pm

I run DRS2006 on AMD, no problem at all! And yes...I use the Broadcast Processor from DB Audioware....runs smoothly :o
Adriaan

Postby Stashu » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:21 pm

To: wmixradio

A guy, who worked in a tech department at a computer repair facility once told me some great advice.
First, buy a computer from a company that puts systems together. (Gateway, Dell. etc. ... Brand names)
Second, give Bill Gates all your money, and get software that works well together. There will be less problems than if you try to make different software try to talk to each other. You start patching, and pluging, and in the end, it's an excercize in frustration all around, and all the software companies blame each other for the problem. And the problem never gets resolved.
Third, never customize the computer to the point, where things don't work. Some folks tweak the control panel until their computer is a dumb boat anchor.

My suggestion is to get a new computer, that WILL run the DRS2006 with the BP, and use that as your 'air' computer. Network it with the one you are using, making that your work computer. Setup your music, work out your playlists, and simply post them to your air computer. This is the route I'm in the process of taking so that I can feel free to work on things without messing up the 'On Air' signal.

I still think that writing up a ticket with the Help Desk, and dogging db-Audioware for an answer is the first step to your initial fix.

The DRS2006 is a great system, and relatively glich free, until it's been customized with third, fourth, fifth party software with bizarre audio formats, ripped with some convoluted pre-Beta version software by someone's crazy uncle.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby retrocast » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 am

So how would i set up an external processor what do i need to do to get it pluged up as i mentioned im using a sound blaster audigy 2 sound card. So i have to have a mixer to use an external processer?

In the interest of pinpointing where a hardware conflict might be, I would do a forum search on "audigy".

As I mentioned before, there are certain audigy sound cards that previously have not worked at all with DRS (v3 for sure). I don't know about your specific card, but I had to stop using the Audigy card I was hoping to use over a year ago because it was incompatible. I realize incompatibility with any Sound Blaster card seems outrageous, but it has been documented previously in the forum. If you're still interested in locating a conflict, that is one thing that would definitely be worth checking. I don't believe there's as much history of conflicts with AMD chips. But certain Audigy sound cards have had problems.

If you've decided to go the hardware processor route, then disregard.

We are using the Autoplay Manager and the On Air Radio Studio Pro. After 3 4 or 5 hours, (different every time), the system would freeze. We are using a Dell Dimension 2400 for the player. After upgrading memory changing from windows XP to 2000 - everything short of hitting it with an hammer we have discovered the singing and dancing Audigy 2 is the problem.

If you are trying to use the Audigy 2 card - take it out and use the standard onboard card.

One of numerous Audigy 2 posts. Search to see 'em all.
retrocast

Postby cadenceradio » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:13 pm

check your event log for "access violation errors" at your d/b & main or core prog. I quit broadcasting altogether with another program because of a built in backdoor which someone (their being hunted down) used to lock my machine lock up.

i run win2kpro, comodo firewall & "hardenIT" network security software on a P3 550, 512 meg memory & have turned off every service that isn't needed to operate. That helped performance wise but was still being locked up while broadcasting by an intruder. so read your event log carefully.

If you had an uninvited guest, it'll turn up as access violation error & the module that was attacked. from there go to your system logs in admin mode, check event & application logs carefully. Thats been my experience so far.
cadenceradio
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Previous

Return to DRS 2006 Interactive Development