DRS 2006 Version 2.2 for Vista and XP

Get involved with the constant growth of new versions of DRS 2006 radio automation now in development. Learn how to become a BETA tester and sample some of the most amazing software breakthroughs in broadcast automation found only in DRS 2006.

Postby lewebdalex » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:05 pm

Whaw ! Another problems are coming.

Just before, I have to say I don't have the violation problem anymore. But it doesn't meen it won't come back again. This isn't the first time we get that with Drs2006.

But anyway, here comes another one : if I start the program using the shortcut on my desktop, it runs okay. This is the same that launching it by the c:/drs2006/ directory. But if I use the Launcher shortcut from my Start Menu, I don't have access to any module. The registration is made, my name is displayed, but I have no link enabled... Quite a strage one. I tried by inserting my code again, nothing changed.

Secondly, I just have started the RADIO STUDIO PRO with the initial songs, I haven't change anything in the database since the installation and I get : " is not a valid integer value for EVERY songs I play.

You seem to have A LOT OF "sound card driver error" as you say. I just can understand why you continue to use the Windows and WMP one. Please guys, I absolutly don't understand it. This is an AUDIO software, we aren't making picture editing...

Quite a bad return of the program i should say :s

Thanks,
Alex.
Last edited by lewebdalex on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Your link on the Start menu is still your original setup shortcut. That's operator error, not DRS2006.
Delete the shortcuts that don't work, and place new shortcuts where you want them.
And, I can't see holding DRS2006 responsible for all driver problems, when we are dealing with hundreds of different cards, and audio setups. The program works for me and others fantastically. When there is a problem, it usually has been my computer, and my fault.
Also, just because there is a way to customize drivers, and software, to 'fit our NEEDS', it shouldn't always be done. The biggest troubleshooting errors I've seem over the years with audio, is that people customize the *beep* out of computers, and software, thoroughly mess it up, and blame the software.
Read any tech forum, and you'll see it.
The fact is, there are many people that use this software without a glitch, and don't get on the forum daily to extoll the virtues of DRS2006...
So, all we hear are the people who are unhappy with the system.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby lewebdalex » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 pm

I do agree with you.
But blaming a "specific type of PC with bad or less-good-compataibility-soundcard-system" isn't the solution too. I'm a profesionnal sound worker, I'm not using a stupid 10$ soundcard.

Anyway,

I'am a user/client/user of DRS2006 too. I'm just reporting errors for :
- Leting know the tech support I've a problem.
- Hoping it could be fix, now or in the future.
- If it's fixed for me, i'll be for the others too.
- If a V2.2 has to be released, it is certainly not with errors inside that it has to be.

So I know it's difficult, I do develop softwares too. I know DRS2006 tries to make the best but please stop saying : "It works fine at my place".
I know that. We all know that.
So tell us before wich system is okay. Make a test program, I don't know. And if it comes randomly, that's not normal. We are dealing with computers : 1 or 0.

And just for the record :
your original setup shortcut
It could not be that, I haven't used the software for ages, I've just installed the new beta, hoping DRS2006 was coming back with errors fixed and 100% working....

Alex.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:59 pm

I still would say, use the shortcuts that work, and avoid using the ones that don't. It will save you a lot of grief.
This is still Beta mode. When the full version is in, then get your shortcuts right.
I had this happen with a piece of Business software lately. I just used the shortcuts that did work. It was pointing to an install that failed, and kept giving me the &*$# hourglass.
I, also, am using a lot of Pro gear since my main function is Audio production. Sometimes you have to go back to basics, and use the stuff that does work, and try to get the cosmic stuff to play along with the dumb kids. :D
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby lewebdalex » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Stashu wrote:Sometimes you have to go back to basics, and use the stuff that does work
If only it had ever worked... I've tried, believe me. I have tried for 3 years on 4 different PC and configurations. :lol:

I'm just saying that with humor. I'm just trying to make the people behind the DRS2006 code realizing that there are some serious problem behind it.

I just want a good and working Drs2006 with the most of happy users. The release of the v2.2 was a "hope" for me. This hope is now already gone...

As you said : there is a lot of people coming and shouting about DRS2006 everyday.
I just say that if that's so, that shows a certain reality.

Alex.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Please always write which Beta you are using so I know if we fixed the problem in a later version when I read the forum.

OK, lets start off with the access violation.

This is a system error. It can be caused by sound card drivers, mp3 codecs or other system errors. Also broken mp3s can cause this.

The problem is not the media player. We espacially use this Player to be rock stable. MS has spent much time to develop it and the interface to it.

The problem with these kinds of errors is that they can be caused by a DVD Player Software for example wich replaces the original frauenhofer mp3 codec with a bad coded one. We had this with Nero 6 for example. This can cause for hickups, delays or even errors.

Also a common reason is a bad mp3 which you loaded from the web somewhere. If you try to load it into the windows media player it might reject it and crash. This is nothing we can prevent.

Of course it can also be something in our code. Like when you close the On Air. If we can reproduce it then we can also debug it and can see if its a timing problem for example. Like closing a windows media connection too late when closing a module.

At the moment the biggest problem seems to be that MS has changed much code in the system and that the sound card suppliers need time to make the drivers perfect. The biggest suppliers seem to have good drivers in the meantime (Soundblaster for example). But a few not so common sound cards may still have problems. Of course they may work with Winamp, but DRS 2006 itself is something really different.

So far to this problem....

It can be that the short cuts are messed up. Which version are you using, Alex? We will of course fix this immediately.

About people complaining:
Of course people come to complain here. They of course not come here to tell us how good we are. But if all people who are using DRS 2006 would write here if they are happy or not, be sure that 95% would say that they love it.

Actually we sell hundreds of licenses to schools every month. And the company who resells our software to the US schools never asked us anything. They never had any problem. I also personally know hundreds of clients which are using DRS 2006 since years without a problem.

Of course there are problems with software. But please do not tell me that you do not have any problems with other softwares as well. The reason is simple. You have a unique computer. You may install tousands of applications on it beside DRS 2006. If you do so it is sure that the PC won't run good after a certain time. The registry if full of trash. The hard disk is full of trash. Many autostart programs my use tons of memory and CPU power. The audio codecs may be messed up because some shareware replaced the original ones. You might even have hardware compatibility problems etc etc etc...We all know it.

So if you are really using DRS 2006 for a professional radio station or if you are teaching kids radio, please avoid to install tons of crap on the PC. Also avoid using a very cheap sound card nobody knows and where the company does not support you with new drivers.

Also avoid to download tons of crap mp3s from the web. If you keep your system clean (database and audio), you will never have a problem with DRS 2006. Like thousands of happy DRS 2006 clients.

Of course these betas may have a few bugs. That is why we are doing this betas testing. However it does not help us much if somebody says that he sometimes gets an error message.

What we would need is something like this:
I am using Beta 5 Standard Package. When I close the On Air Studio I sometimes get the error message ".......". The other modules seem to work ok.

Or:
I am using Betas 4 Standard Package and the short cuts in the menu don't seem to be working. The desktop short cut is ok, but the On Air Studio in the menu does not work for example.

That would help.

When you get some random errors, please try to reproduce it with the same situation. Like playing a certain mp3 or doing the same thing in a certain module.

If you just say "I am getting a critical error", then there is not much more than to say "We don't get it on any of our PCs here....it may be a driver problem....please help us to reproduce the error."

So we ask you to be as precise as possible when you report a problem, so we can fix it as soon as possible or we can find the reason as soon as possible. It does not help if you tell us to use a different player because this crap does not work or something like this.

You can believe us that DRS 2006 works in general for most poeple, but we will of course try to find your problem as well. We of course want all customers to be happy.

Altough there are people that manage to kill an operation system in 2 days. Some have installed in this time 12 viruses, 47 Shareware programs, deinstalled several drivers, installed wrong drivers etc. I have seen it myself!! It may be understandable that it is impossible for us to help these people ;-)

Don't worry, we will fix last bugs!
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:32 pm

OK, here is an update.

We just took a closer look at all Beta 6 Packages. In all 3 Packages the short custs are 100% ok. I am absolutely sure. I guess Stashu is right and you are doing some kind of operating error. Maybe you have other DRS 2006 versions installed as well? This may also be the reason for your other problems.

HINT:
The Vista Menu remembers your last used short cuts in the first menu. When you deinstall a software these short cuts will still be displayed even if the short cuts are not valid anymore. Blame MS!

Please be 100% sure before you post one bug after the other here!

Please also tell us if you can't find any bug anymore.

THX
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lewebdalex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply.

I can assure you that I still have the problem of bad shortcuts. And to prove you I'm not a jerk coming here for the joy of shouting about the DRS2006 problems, here is the "kind of clue" I could get.

I'm repeating : I'm using XP with a clean installation, no spyware, ni viruses : this is a working station only with the DRS 2006 : V2.2 Beta 6.

So here is the clue :
When installing the DRS2006, and choosing the option "Make available for all users", DRS creates de shortcuts in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programmes\DRS 2006". (Just for the info, I'm a french user so the name isn't maybe totally the same for you). Theses shortucts are configured like that :

Target : C:\drs2006\Drs2006.exe
Run in (Something like that. again, I'm using the french version of XP) : NOTHING ENTERED.

When I create a shortcut to the launcher, Windows inserts in the "Run in" textbox : C:\drs2006.

And there it works. All the modules are enabled.

I haven't checked that problem if I choose "Only for me" during the installation.

Anyway, I hope it will help you and show you that all i've said is for the right of DRS2006, not for my pleasure of complaining.

And so I've just demonstrated this bug, I can assure the solution of the others problems are foundable and fixable. It just requires to take the time to do it and that means : not saying "It works for me and one thousands people so it has to work for you".... You said so : we are all different. But we're dealing with computers here : 1 or 0.

Thanks,
Alex.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi Alex,

ok, I see what you mean. As far as I can see the links are correct and you think that they do not work for you because the of "Run in"? We also do not have anything in "Run In" but it still works ok for us.

However the Launcher on the desktop does have a "Run in C:\DRS2006\". This is correct. We can of course also set the working directory for all other shortcust as well.

Beta 7 coming. Please tell us if its ok now.

Thank you for your help
mon ami!
Last edited by DRS 2006 - Mark on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lewebdalex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:54 pm

DRS 2006 - Mark wrote:you think that they do not work for you because the of "Run in"?

Yes, I've tested it 5 times. If I don't set the "Run In", the modules aren't avaiblable.

However the Launcher on the desktop does have a "Run in C:\DRS2006".

Yes, indeed, it does. The ones in the start menu don't.
I've found this problem when I deleted the shortcut from my desktop and launched drs2006 from the start menu.

Alex.
Last edited by lewebdalex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Update: We just looked at it. ONLY the Professional Package had this. Are you using the Pro Package?
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lewebdalex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:57 pm

DRS 2006 - Mark wrote:Update: We just looked at it. ONLY the Professional Package had this. Are you using the Pro Package?

Yes the PRO package.

Alex.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:57 pm

OK, uploading the new Beta in a second.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lewebdalex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Ok, solved in the Beta 7.

I'm launching the Radio Sutio Pro to track the others errors I get earlier. If it could help too.

Thanks for the release.

Alex.
lewebdalex
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks for your help!! This is what we need.....I promise that if this is ready, we will immediately do many things in V3. We have all Vista issues solved so we can go on much quciker now.

Have a nice weekend.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to DRS 2006 Interactive Development