Plugins and DRS2006

Get involved with the constant growth of new versions of DRS 2006 radio automation now in development. Learn how to become a BETA tester and sample some of the most amazing software breakthroughs in broadcast automation found only in DRS 2006.

Plugins and DRS2006

Postby Stashu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I've noticed some serious advances in product over at db Audioware. They've been coming up with many new plugins, and new concepts in sound enhancement. There was a mention on another thread that db Audioware was not going to update the Broadcast Processor.
Maybe this is a great time to ask these folks to design a new Broadcast Processor to work with 2.2, and 3.0. It seems like they are cooking up new products regularly.
Here's a question to Mark or Jeremy,
If there is no upgrade for the Broadcast Processor, will we have the ability to use VST or Direct X plugins with 3.0?
there are a few good ones, like the BBE Sonic Maximizer that would bring that rich radio sound to our great piece of software, the DRS2006.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Jeremy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Mark would know more than myself, but I will try and answer it from what I understand from playing around with Version 2.2:

If your using Windows Vista (and maybe XP with WMP 10), I know that version 2.2 (and 3.0 soon) uses WMP 10 as it's underlay software to play out audio files. This meaning any plug-ins that WMP 10 will support SHOULD also work with DRS. In fact, if you look in version 2.2, there's an option to configure the plug-ins directly.

Mark, please correct me if I'm wrong. =)

P.S.: I think it's verison 10 but it may be WMP 9. Either way you have an option in 2.2 to directly configure the plugins.
Jeremy Eisenzimmer
Devils Lake, ND
-CompTIA A+ Certified
DRS 2006 - Jeremy
DRS'er
DRS'er

Postby agtonwerk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 pm

I think that integrating a VST interface would be great, because there a a lot of great free and commercial plugins around. I especially like Jeroen Breebaart's Broadcast Processor 2. There are some DX-VST-Wrappers, e.g. Acon Digital Media - EffectChainer, maybe this is a solution...
agtonwerk
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:19 pm

I agree with th VST idea. There are a lot of great plugins available. I'm going to get the new BBE d82 Sonic Maximizer when it comes out this month. It acts just like the Aphex Aural Exciter used in broadcast stations. I'll check out the ones you've mentioned.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby agtonwerk » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:30 pm

And I had to learn, that DX-plugins for audio applications and DX-plugins for Windows Media Player are not the same. So the DX-VST-Wrapper idea does not work. Or is there a way?
agtonwerk
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:03 pm

I'm not sure about the wrapper. I may have to do some experimienting.
I know that, depending on your sotfware, some Pro plugins may not work with your recording software. So, trying a few different ones may be the answer.
Has any one tried to use Pro plugins with the DX-VST wrapper in WMP?
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Still, I prefer a new Broadcast Processor, suitable for 2.2 and 3.0, made by db Audioware :?
Adriaan

Postby Stashu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:32 am

I know, it's a great Processor. I tried the demo, and was going to buy. Then, about that time, there were a lot of problems on the DRS2006 site with the Processor. The answer on most threads was to turn the thing off.
There was a more recent thread. Someone had been in contact with db-Audioware, and they remarked they were not going to make one any time soon. I hope this is not the case. But, if it is, there's got to be an alternative internally in the DRS2006, to beef up the overall signal, and put that extra sparkle, and Processing help in the mix.
I know it can be done in the chain, with either a real box, or a convoluted setup within the air computer before sending it online. But, if it can be a simple plugin, in the DRS2006 chain, (as the Processor is) the end result is cleaner and more direct.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 am

Adriaan wrote 12/31/2007
This is the answer of Dave Brown, db-audioware:

Quote:
Hi,

We currently have no plans to develop a Vista compatible version of the
DRS2006 Broadcast Processor. If a Vista-compatible version does become available in the future, this will be publicised on the main DRS2006 website.

Best regards,
Dave.

I use the current Broadcast Processor for many years now. Some patience, some luck, good settings and no problem at all! :)
Adriaan

Postby Stashu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm

That's good news. Do you run it with 3.0?
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:59 pm

Yes, V3 Beta's it is!
Adriaan

Postby Stashu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:32 pm

I may be rethinking that purchase after all. Do you run it on XP, or Vista?
And, has anyone actually tried the Broadcast Processor with Vista?
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 pm

I am running Windows XP Pro (V3 beta's based on V2.11).

There is only one version of DRS2006 supported on Vista which is version 2.2. The Broadcast Processor is NOT working with V2.2 .

So as far as I see it, you can not run Broadcast Processor together with DRS2006 on Vista :?
Adriaan

Postby Manfred » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:21 pm

What the *beep* is Vista - the new Bugtracker from MS or a OS. No one needs that crap of OS.
Manfred
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Well, although I don't like it either, the only thing permanent is change.
After June, Microsoft will only sell Vista. That means the clock will be ticking on the end of tech support too. And, althoug we can still get help in third party forums for other operating systems like Windows 98, ME, 200, etc, many of the drivers for hardware on those systems will never be updated.
The 'circle of life' for computer systems sadly is in the form of a new OS disk.
The fact that you can still get XP a full year after the launch of Vista, is a testiment to people's reluctance to switch this time. The marketplace is beginning to show rebellion to change for profit's sake.
I'm still on XP, and will wait until the update comes out that has all the bugs worked out.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Interactive Development