Toruble with the database engine

Get involved with the constant growth of new versions of DRS 2006 radio automation now in development. Learn how to become a BETA tester and sample some of the most amazing software breakthroughs in broadcast automation found only in DRS 2006.

Toruble with the database engine

Postby mvgmbh » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 am

DRS2006 has a great interface but we should not expect too much. I assume that Mark is quite busy dealing with the problems, but his problems are not really about Vista, but the outdated Borland engine (BDE) that underlies the system.

Many bugs are definitely caused by this database engine and I know other software based on BDE, that deals with the very same problems (no updates to Vista). And there is not much Mark can do about this.

MS has already announced a new version of Vista for 2010. So what's Mark going to do if it took him already so long so adapt only a few modules to Vista (until now).

Even this would take some more development time he really should consider to base his software on another platform and make it more future proof. That also would allow him to introduce some modern concepts like drag and drop. The actual interface involves too much clicking.

We'll I wish him all the best. We had to change our system due to instability problems. But we will be more than happy to come back and welcome an improved interface. Still the value of DRS2006 ist very good. So we can't definitely expect a big nuber of programmers to work on it. Everything has it's price.
mvgmbh
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:59 pm

I hope (and assume) that Mark will respond to this one in person.

This database issue has been discussed on this forum years ago. Statement was that it should be better for DRS2006 to use Microsoft SQL Server as the database. Mark's respond on that was, I remember, that using a commercial database would require licensing. For this reason the price of DRS2006 would be much higher as nowadays.

Mark always mentions Vista as the cause of the delay, not the database. If development is done much faster by the choice of another database, I am willing to pay (a little :wink: ) extra.

Speak, Mark......
Adriaan

Postby BenTCFM » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Good point Adriaan!

I would be willing too pay a bit more to move away from Borland :)

Mark?...
Ben C
Music / Tech Dept
89.7 Twin Cities FM
www.twincitiesfm.com.au
"On-air 24/7 & Using Drs ENT V3"
BenTCFM
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby BenTCFM » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 am

hang on... not so much move away from Borland, just move to a SQL Database so its faster , more stable and better in a network environment:)
Ben C
Music / Tech Dept
89.7 Twin Cities FM
www.twincitiesfm.com.au
"On-air 24/7 & Using Drs ENT V3"
BenTCFM
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Yes, networking DRS2006 with this Borland database is quite complicated.
Adriaan

Postby FlagRadio.Com » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:05 am

If it is just a licensing issue the MySQL Community edition show fix that.

If SAM Broadcaster can use it then why not DRS?
Andy - Station Manager & DRS'er

FlagRadio.Com
FlagRadio.Com
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Interactive Development