DRS 2006 Version 4 - Non Public Betas

Get involved with the constant growth of new versions of DRS 2006 radio automation now in development. Learn how to become a BETA tester and sample some of the most amazing software breakthroughs in broadcast automation found only in DRS 2006.

Re: DRS 2006 Version 4 - Non Public Betas (01/16/2013)

Postby ppmike » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 am

After installing the first disappointment was the appearance of the software is much less pretty than version 3. I'll test it now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Comment from Mark:
>> Yes, it looks different. But we decided to make a version with a variable size so it's full screen on all resolutions. But that is not the only advantage. All controls are Windows standard which everybody knows. Drag & Drop, Resizing etc.
MIKE
ppmike
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: DRS 2006 Version 4 - Non Public Betas (01/16/2013)

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 am

01/17/2013 - Version 1.0.100.14 Released

Simply deinstall and install the new version. Settings will remain.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DRS 2006 Version 4 - Non Public Betas

Postby Tony Harding » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 am

As John said installing as administrator will be an issue. Since Vista, the administrator is not the adminstrator, that is a seperate hidden user, and so you need to do things in that hidden user sometimes, as Windows will not allow you to do them even if your only user is discribed as an adminstrator.

I would like to see a Global/Mass change for catagories. Things are imported as NEW and then you have to manually shift them into the catagory you need. Manually shifting 200 tracks into say 60's is a long job. Change all these (sorted by location) would be faster. OR a select catagory at import, as in v3.

The main playlist window needs a horizontal scroll bar to reach the end of the list of paramiters.

In the DB editor double click to resize the width of the colomns would help too

Anyone noticed that the clock does not change the minutes until 1 second past 00, that is 11 minutes and 59 dots is followed by 11 minutes and 60 dots, which is followed by 12 minutes and 1 dot.

Fkeys for starting carts would be nice.

In the play display for database editor, a read out of the cursor position would help.

The auto cue point setting does not work all the time. Not sure why. Some gaps due to the begining of a track having 2 seconds of silence, and sometimes not marking then end until well into the silence at the end.

Regards
Tony

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Comment from Mark:
>> OK, I will talk to Holger about the Admin issue.
>> Global changes in the database editor are done with the fill down function. You change one category and then mark all items you want to change. Then hit the "Fill Down" Button or F11. The marked category will be filled into all fields. Takes a bit to see how it works, but after you have done it once, it will be fine.
>> Yes, F keys will be back in.
>> Yes, Cursor Position makes sense.
>> OK, we will look into the auto cues
Tony Harding
uktony@apple-fm.net
Listen at http://www.apple-fm.com
Mobile +852 6235 4073
Tony Harding
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby kris » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Is there a way to block the settings page?
Not only kids mess around where they shouldn't :?

And can there be added in the database editor buttuns to set cue in out intro?
I find it a bit strange for the moment like it is currently (that or I dont see it how it should work and then it is my fault sorry).

>> Comment from Mark:
>> You mean a sort of password for the settings? Maybe something to think about, but I already see thousands of support emails from people who locked theirselves out. We got many emails a day with the Enterprise of people who locked theirselves out. Most emails right after "I have lost my reg code" :)
>>When you click on a song in the database editor, they wavelt opens on top. Here you can drag and drop the Cue in, Cue Out and Intro. You can also set the fading speed. That is the main way. However you can also use the small sliders in the list itself.
kris
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby kris » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

When you add a categorie in the audio database you can assign songs to it directly.
But the new categorie can only be placed in a simple shuffle after a reboot of the software.

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Yes, confirmed. Will be fixed. Thanks.
kris
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby evw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I've played with V4 for about 2 hours now. No crashes - all works as intended. Some remarks about the functionalities (if I overlooked something, feel free to correct me):
Player Window:
- Time under "Duration" shows the full time of the track, not the time which is actually played (minus Cue In & Out) - not very useful.
- The bold font in the playlist window (Artist, Title, Album) is reader-unfriendly. Letters overlap, which makes it difficult to read from a distance. The font size in the playlist window is generally way too small.
- The inclusion of tenth of seconds in the database manager is welcome - in the player window however this is mainly useless information. There is no further enlightenment if I know that a tracks starts at 12:31:45:3 instead of 12:31:45. Use the space for a bigger font size.
- There are inconsistencies in the use of the cross as a symbol. Sometimes it reverts back to an earlier state, sometimes it clears a window, sometimes it deletes something from the harddisk. Sometimes it's above a window, sometimes below. Please: always give us a key to go back to the original state. And please: Don't ever put an option in the player window to delete something from the harddisk. This is the workspace for people doing a radio show, not for administering a database.
- I had a situation, where the main window on the screen showed no reaction, because a small window somewhere on the screen wants to be closed. This is not acceptable. The main window has to be functional under all circumstances.
- F2 calls the database manager, but there is no way to go back by keystroke.
- If you want to signal an open mic, make it big and red.

Database Manager Window:
I'm assuming at this point that this window replaces the old Audio Manager. If this is so, there is vital information missing. Things included in the database should be at least:
- year
- style
- tempo
- male / female / group
- cold ending / fade
- comments (it would be nice to have an option to view the comments in the player window)
- collision (Don't play Phil Collins after Genesis)
- for pro use: scheduled for play at defined times

In fact there are so many informations to store that it would be preferable to administer one audio file at a time instead of a whole list.
The cueing by waveform is nice, but lacks a zoom.

Am I missing something or where can I add a single track into the database? Drag and drop doesn't work and I didn't find a button.
It would also be nice to have the possibility to drop a track not included in the database directly into the playlist. The workaround for this in the old version was the use of dummy files in the "Dynamic" category.

Does dynamic still work? It's essential for news items et al.

Support for Itunes AAC and Apple Lossless would be nice (was not recognized in the Audio folder).

...to be continued

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Thank you for your long post. Most things are understandable. We will discuss these things and get back to this post. Thank you!
evw
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby evw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm a little bit disappointed that V4 is clearly not programmed for the coming age of the touchscreen. The old V2 can be controlled with nearly all functions from an IPad (tested...). I see no way to do this with V4.
evw
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Tony Harding » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

>>When you click on a song in the database editor, they wavelt opens on top. Here you can drag and drop the Cue in, Cue Out and Intro. You can also set the fading speed. That is the main way. However you can also use the small sliders in the list itself.

But how do you know where to drag them to? That is why buttons are needed to mark where to drag to, or do the draging for you, while you play the file.

As it is you have to play the track and visually see where the play coursor is when they start to sing and try and drag the intro marker to there. That bump in the graph, there before those 3 dips.

With a button, as in v3, you click the button as they start to sing and the spot ss marked, the intro courson moves to there and the database value is updated.

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Ah ok, I see what you mean. Yes, this should be no problem.
Tony Harding
uktony@apple-fm.net
Listen at http://www.apple-fm.com
Mobile +852 6235 4073
Tony Harding
Serious Broadcaster
Serious Broadcaster

Postby darren1359 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:43 pm

To evw

I am currently using the free version of unifier Remote to control it from my Android Tablet, i've had no problem creating playlists, playing carts, changing cue's. Seems to work rather well with touch screen inputs.
darren1359
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Maybe something general about the new software strategy. We know that there are many professional radio people out there using our software and all of them know exactly what they want and need and how professional radio automations work. Most of them were happy with our DRS 2006 V2 and also with the Enterprise for a long time. Simply because we built in what they wanted. But what we have seen in over 10 years of experience is that DRS 2006 was a total overkill for the majority of people trying it. You actually had to know quite a lot about radio and software structures, databases etc. to operate the complete DRS 2006 system. Or you at least had to read a few manuals. It took time to find out about all the functions. We actually have clients with the professional package who do not know how to use all features after 8 years.

This is the reason why we wanted to make a basic software anybody can operate in minutes. You read in your songs and away you go. Get broadcasting in minutes. This is the point where people accept the software and buy it. The interface is clean and easy and full screen on any resolution. It looks like other softwares so the people do not have to search long for the basic functions.

Later on they can explore more functions or find useful plugins which we offer. This is also the stage where we want to satisfy the professional users. There will be a lot of extra plugins which can be integrated and which will do all sorts of stuff the Enterprise or the Professional Package did. And of course the things we planned in the Enterprise and even more....

This basic version should do what the old Standard Package with the encoder did. And it should do it much easier, faster and better. This software already is enough for 90% of the users. Believe us, we know what we have sold in 10 years. If we now put all sorts of functions and expressions in this software, most people will not understand it and simply not buy it. It does not make sense to make a huge software with all the bells and whistles and sell it to 10 people which appreciate it.

We simply want to reach any kind of user with this software. Not only the Pros. So we will keep this basic version as simple as possible with the functions you really need to get broadcasting. This is a VW. Simple, but reliable and easy. Everything is there where you expect it. And believe me. Those who want the Ferrari, will get the Ferrari :)
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby darren1359 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Mark,

I think you've done a great job with this, it's almost perfect for what our station is looking for. Much more user friendly than the last versions. As long as the activation gets sorted and its possible to use a central database for all machines (ie on a network share) I would be happy to install this tomorrow.

I would like to second the suggestion of a password on the database tab and the settings, some people just like to fiddle. Could an option be added for scheduling back-ups of the database?
darren1359
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, that is why we are doing a beta test. We know that not all is perfect yet, but we will listen to what you are saying and we will love to discuss it with you and of course: We will fix it as fast as possible. We will also think about your suggestions. But it really has to make sense for the majority of users. We have to keep that in mind before we create a new "Monster".
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby darren1359 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Things like custom database locations, admin passwords and back-up schedules could be put in an advanced tab in settings and be set to off as default. That way people who don't need/want them wont need to set anything extra or complicated up, they can just import tracks and go.

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Well I guess these functions are not really a problem. We just do not want to make the database thing to complex at the start. Like adding a billion database fields which 90% do not need. However I know Holger already implemented the network drives etc. and I am sure he will take a look at the location issue shortly.

>>Darren
>> You could put say the fields in that have been asked for but have them hidden by default? This would keep it minimal for the average user but allow more advanced users to have the fields if they want them by using the column chooser?

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Yes, I will discuss this with Holger who is currently programming this. However you can start with adding 5 essential fields, or you can add 50 fields like we did in the Enterprise. 45 of these 50 fields all make no sense without a scheduler. So we gotta think about it.
darren1359
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby evw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm

To darren1359:

I have no doubt the software works with a touchscreen. But in the old DRS all buttons were larger. This is also a problem for people with bad eyesight. We have someone who is very shortsighted and uses DRS. He would have no chance to use V4, because text and buttons are too small.

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Yes, I expected somebody would say that. However we tried to find a compromise to bring much information to the screen and to make the components large enough. We will see what things we can make bigger.
evw
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby georgeontheweb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Did my points make sense as they are the only ones without a reply from you

>> Comment from Mark:
>> Hey George, sorry I did not make them all. The one point is already fixed with the crash.
George

Programme Controller
DRS Lover
georgeontheweb
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

PreviousNext

Return to DRS 2006 Interactive Development