RANGE CHECK ERROR ????

The DRS 2006 Support Center is the backbone of DRS technical support. Inside you'll find topics regarding many technical issues involving the use of DRS 2006 radio automation, its plugins, supporting apps and much more. Come on inside and learn something.

RANGE CHECK ERROR ????

Postby TSNSports » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:30 am

Can someone tell me what this is?

We've had it start up, out of the blue, and messes up our format mix.

We run Windows 7, DRS2006 Pro. Paid good money for it and its breaking down....for no apparent reason....as it runs great for two weeks and then starts doing this stuff (hanging on a song or drop) and playing them 5, 6, 7 even up to ten times in a row. This is happening without us making any changes to anything. Just out of the blue.

We have check database and its scan is OK!
We have REINDEXED in the database utility!
We have deleted songs or drops that hang, then a few items later it hangs up again. This I tell you happens after we do a check and it scans fine...no errors!

WHATS THE DEAL??????????? WE NEED THIS RESOLVED!!!!!!

Let me also ask...is it better to turn off screensaver?
Last edited by TSNSports on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSNSports
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:47 am

Woah! By all means, turn off screensavers! I'm currently running XP, but if you can find a list of tweaks to subdue Windows 7, it would help. I know there are issues with 'bordering', and the graphics nature of '7'. Although it has been proven to be a solid OS, it's not very friendly with Broadcasting, and Production. It has to be reigned in. So, Google a list of tweaks to optimize your computer for '7'.
Any thing that interrupts the signal could be a problem. Many people dedicate the computer to just 'On Air'. No screensavers, minimal security programs, and say 'no' to automatic updates. Automatic uopdates for the OS, or printers, or other programs can upset the flow of programming. In audio and video production you can get blips, artifacts and crashes trying to render video files just because a printer wants to update its driver. Some of these things can be a cause for your serous problems.
Maybe others can also respond or give you a list. If I can find one, I'll start a new thread.

Good luck!
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby TSNSports » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:57 am

Thanks Stashu...our computer is dedicated to only the music system. we have NOT updated 7 or anything else.

You know this is blowing my mind. We haven't done anything different at all. It just happens.

Matter of fact I clicked on from my house (NOW) and its hung up on another song.....BOY THIS IS KILLING US BAD!!!!!!

I can't go up and take care of it now, but you can click on the site and hear it for yourself.

http://www.muletownradiofm.com

I'll do the search Friday for the Windows 7 optimising stuff.

Should I try doing a system restore?

Thanks
TSNSports
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

TSNSports, you are running DRS2006 V2.2 on Windows 7, aren't you?

I am afraid the cause of your huge problems is this combination. I have said it before: there is no version of DRS2006 supported on Windows 7. The most stable situation is to downgrade to XP.

There has been some advice to you earlier:
Workaround for Windows 7 Professional: The Pro edition comes with a free virtual Windows XP. DRS runs perfectly, but the music database is limited to about 100 GB, because DRS can't access the harddrives outside the sandbox of the virtual machine.
Adriaan

Postby TSNSports » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:14 pm

They surely took our money knowing we had 7.

Can you explain why the system worked fine for six months and then started having trouble?

Now its doing something all together different.....hanging up on songs and drops.

we are a online radio station and have been building our listenership, and now with it larger than ever this problem happens out of the blue.

now its "OUR" problem and not DRS.....hmmmm thats funny.

Looks to me DRS has a mind of its own.

how bout a refund?

This is from DRS Help Desk:

Hi Greg,

well it is very hard to say what causes this. It may be that you have a few damaged audio files or the full duration of the file is wrong. What version are you using on which operating system? Does the loop happen in Playlist or Shuffle mode? To be sure that the database is ok, you can use the database utility. Left side > HRDat.dbf and then Tools > Reindex. We are selling the software now since years and it usually does not make any problems. However sometimes the audio files may be damaged our there is a OS/driver problem.

DRS 2006 Customer Help Deskhttp://www.drs2006.comsupport@drs2006.comDRS Systemtechnik

NO MENTION OF WINDOWS 7 BEING THE PROBLEM FROM HIS RESPONSE.
TSNSports
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 pm

TSN,

Make sure that none and I mean NONE of the mp3s are Variable Bit Rate. They should all be CBR, Constant Bit Rate. This can definitely cause problems. Whether it can cause things to play over and over again, I'm not sure, but if you ran fine for months, there must be as the Help Desk says, some other problem.
DRS2006 on '7' may be a problem, but in my experience, it's usually one of my files was corrupt, or encoded wrong, or I've change a sound card or driver, or moved files around.
Again, if DRS2006 2.2 did work for a long time with '7', then something else might be at fault.
Again, I'll try and get a list of Windows '7' tweaks for audio.

Good luck.
Consulting. Imaging.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby TSNSports » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Here's a bit of info......

As i sit here watching the DRS it has come across some songs where the "Range Check Error" box comes up and then at the end of the song it starts over.

I even stopped it and skipped three items and it played that item and the blue line skipped back up, backwards, and highlighted the "bad" song again...to play it again.

So here'e what I did.....I went into the editor and reset the outcue segue tone again and then played the song.......

GUESS WHAT? It played and then tripped the next song.

So there's a problem with the outcue tone on the audio file.

I think?????
TSNSports
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: RANGE CHECK ERROR ????

Postby Nodi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi everyone,

today I had "range check error" issue on Win 7, and it seems I solved it acidentaly. I couldn't figure out what to do, and I was getting ready to reinstall DRS 2.2. Then I wanted to check all the settings whithin the program so I can set everything the way it was. In "On Air Setup" section in On Air Studio PRO i just moved one of the sliders (say "drop down percentage") and suddenly the *beep* started working on it's own! This was the same solution for some other problem on previous version of DRS. For some reason change in current settings sets the program runnig again.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.
Nodi
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Support Center