Question About Streaming

The DRS 2006 Support Center is the backbone of DRS technical support. Inside you'll find topics regarding many technical issues involving the use of DRS 2006 radio automation, its plugins, supporting apps and much more. Come on inside and learn something.

Question About Streaming

Postby Scott » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:43 am

The stream hosts I've been talking with about getting my DRS based oldies station online are telling me that they need the "now playing" data in RDS format. They say DRS is not compatible and strongly suggest changing automation software. With over 7000 database entries that's the last thing I want to hear! So that's one reason I won't be able to use the Internet Broadcaster plugin to encode the stream. The other reason is I want a 32kb AAC stream. I have to believe I'm not the first person to encounter this situation and there surely must be a way to pass on the now playing data from DRS to a standalone encoder in RDS format. Does anyone have any ideas?
Scott
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Scott, the missing AAC+ is a licensing problem. It will cost extra money and it will make the broadcaster plugin more expensive than it is right now. We would do it, however most clients prefer mp3 oder Windows Media. May I ask why you need an RDS Format for streaming? Is this also a licensing matter?
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Scott » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:34 am

Thanks for the reply Mark. Since I posted my question I've found out that the RDS requirement is not accurate. I must have misunderstood the stream host rep when he was explaining the requirements for metadata. However he was adamant that DRS2006 is incapable of providing metadata they consider useable. Today I spoke with a rep from Broadcast Electronics, who make a product called TRE that they say should get DRS talking to the stream host. I thought I'd get one on a trial basis and test drive it. I assume I need to have the Internet Broadcaster plugin running in order to generate metadata of any kind, right?

I'm leaning toward AAC+ because I've heard some 32kb AAC+ streams that sound unbelievably good for that bitrate. Absolutely stunning! To me it sounds at least as good as a well encoded 128 mp3.
Scott
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby radiowayne » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Hey Scott,
Probably the stream rep was referring to the fact that DRS2006 2.x.x does not pass album in the meta data which is required by many stream hosts in the US. Note that DRS2006 3.x.x does pass complete meta data.

Wayne G. aka radiowayne
Wayne G aka radiowayne
http://www.radiowayne.com
email: radiowayne@att.net
radiowayne
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: Question About Streaming

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:31 am

Thanks for the help. We found someone locally who's been through a similar situation getting a station set up to stream and it looks like it's gonna work. No album artwork but we really don't care. We're not sure yet if there's a way to keep our jingles, sweepers, and voicetracks from showing in the "now playing" window, since the DRS BaseEncoder log file doesn't include any "type" information. Wouldn't be the end of the world if that stuff was displayed. It'd be like giving the listeners a peek behind the curtain.
Scott
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:16 pm

I seem to be at a dead end trying to get now playing data from DRS to the stream host. Is there anyone on the forum who uses DRS to stream and does not use the DRS Internet Broadcaster plugin to do it? If so, can you please tell me how you get your metadata out of DRS and to the host? I don't want to change automation systems, but that's what it looks like I'll have to do unless I can solve this problem.
Scott
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi Scott,

the metadata is automatically sent when the on air studio launches the Internet Broadcaster Every title change we update the meta data of the broadcaster.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 am

And that metadata is contained in the base encoder.log file, correct? I've seen that file and it looks to me like it has all the essential information: artist, title, start time, and duration. I've e-mailed that file to the stream hosts I've been talking to and they all say they can't use it.
Scott
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

Hi, we may be understanding something wrong. What exactly do you want? The in-stream information is sent automatically. In the Professional Package also all data is logged in the On Air Analyzer.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Mark,

Yes, my apologies for not being clear enough about what I'm trying to do. I'm using DRS version 2.2. I want to encode an AAC+ stream, which means I can't use the DRS Internet Broadcaster plugin to do it. I'd like to use the Internet Broadcaster plugin to generate the "now playing" data and somehow send it to the AAC+ encoder. It looks to me that the base encoder .log file is the key to doing that, but just how is a mystery. I wonder if anyone else has successfully done it?
Scott
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi,

no, I suppose this won't work. If you are using Simplecast or something, then we will not be able to pass the data to it. The actual data is passed to the DRS 2006 Internet Broadcaster and is also stored in the analyzer.dbf
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby trash-box » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Scott and Mark

i'd the same problem. i've programming my own piece of software that polls the analyzer.dbf and grabs the current playing song. then i've all needed information to make http-requests, send it over tcp-ip or even over serial connection.

@Scott
do you found a solution? did you change the automation system?

@Mark:
is there another way than polling the analyzer.dbf to grab the information? is there a "real" interface like a webservice or at least a simple protocol over tcp-ip?

thanks, Peter
trash-box
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Support Center