Anybody notice Radio Free Colorado self destruct?

Common Topics discuss everything from supported file formats used with DRS 2006 radio automation, how to import 3rd party playlists, catching satellite feeds and much, much more.

Anybody notice Radio Free Colorado self destruct?

Postby alex smith » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Free Radio Colorado rose into the top 20 or 30 on the Shoutcast listings over the past few months, thousands of concurrent listeners, and then suddenly blew up last week. Wondered if anyone else noticed.

They played 60's to 90's baby boomer hits.

I happened to tune in last week, to hear some wild radio, live. The operator explained (a) he got his server time on some test deal through AOL, (b) went on a half hour rant threatening all his users who record music (said he had magic software that told him who was recording what....) (c) went on another half hour humiliating rant defending the recording cartel, threatening jail time for downloading, blah blah, and then (d) offered to shoot un-named people, or anyone, if they showed up at his studio. Talked about the rifle range, he had a gun in the studio, hoped to shoot someone soon....

Next day, it disappeared off the air. Half their web site disappeared, including the forums (where incredulous listeners concluded he'd lost his mind on air...)

Thought you might be interested. If any of you have more info, I'd like to hear it - email me at aplanet (at) shaw.ca

PS. he also mentioned a lawsuit against him, but no specifics.

Alex.
alex smith
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Adriaan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Wow.....i would love to hear an aircheck of this program :o
Adriaan

Radio Free Colorado - the vampires set in

Postby alex smith » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:50 am

So here is what happens the very day after a popular Shoutcast station disappears: the net address is jumped right away, so that the former radiofreecolorado.net now takes you to a Capetown (Africa!) radio station.

Former users get the joy of finding news from South Africa. And I still can't Google a *beep* thing about what really happened to this station. Do you people know of a talk forum or newsgroup where people might discuss this? Thousands and thousands of listeners, and then - poof! gone like it never existed.

Very strange.

Alex.

(Sadly, I couldn't get my recorder to open up fast enough to get the comments like "I still wish I could shoot somebody in the leg..." and such...)
alex smith
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby Stashu » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:43 am

You could try finding out where they originated from, and find a local paper with the story.
This sounds juicy enough to have made the local news somewhere.
And it's not even the serious radio sweeps yet!
From what you said happened, it sounds like he was ticked that people were recording. ASCAP and BMI are serious about downloading and recording from the net. Buy, if they blend songs and don't offer a download service, they should be okay. ASCAP and BMI only get edgy if you allow people to download from your site, like Napster, etc.
Or, it may have been the result of a very bad day for the guy.
Try other search ebgines, and include Shoutcast, and if you know the guy's air name throw that in the search.
Stashu
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Postby masa » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:53 am

Stashu wrote:You could try finding out where they originated from, and find a local paper with the story.
This sounds juicy enough to have made the local news somewhere.
And it's not even the serious radio sweeps yet!
From what you said happened, it sounds like he was ticked that people were recording. ASCAP and BMI are serious about downloading and recording from the net. Buy, if they blend songs and don't offer a download service, they should be okay. ASCAP and BMI only get edgy if you allow people to download from your site, like Napster, etc.
Or, it may have been the result of a very bad day for the guy.
Try other search ebgines, and include Shoutcast, and if you know the guy's air name throw that in the search.

Let's just say Mr. Burke (Gary, the owner of RFC) had some.. uh.. mental issues. Let's just leave it at that.
masa
Owner/Program Director;
Japan-A-Radio
http://www.japanaradio.com/
masa
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Radio Free Colorado is on and broadcasting now

Postby NetRadioFan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:43 am

Can't find any info on Google, etc. about that. I can see that the domain for Radio Free Colorado, http://www.radiofreecolorado.net has been registered since March 2005 to AudioJuice.net. AudioJuice.net runs many radio station sites. Radio Free Colorado is broadcasting Classic Rock music now, streaming in 128 kbps MP3 and Windows Media.
NetRadioFan
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Common Topics