Streaming MP3 audio without Shoutcast, etc

At DRS 2006 we also offer high quality streaming at the lowest prices. We also guide you through step by step while setting up your own internet radio station. After debuting your broadcast on the World Wide Web, join us here to talk about streaming.

Streaming MP3 audio without Shoutcast, etc

Postby Anish » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:40 am

I'd like to stream MP3 or MP3pro audio from my DRS machine using the Internet Broadcaster plugin. But the only options are for setting up a Shoutcast, Live365 or Icecast server. I want to have my own machine as the server with a link on my website that allows users to open the stream. The access is restricted to a few people only, so I don't want to use a public service like the ones offered through the plugin. What do I need to do to set up streaming without Shoutcast, etc?
Anish
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Rendy » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:14 am

To stream Mp3 / mp3PRO directly from your PC...you can do so, download ShoutCast from the website so you'll actually be streaming from your PC to your PC and from there people can connect from your PC directly. A port must also be set so you'll stream to your own PC and to the port set.

Anish wrote:The access is restricted to a few people only, so I don't want to use a public service like the ones offered through the plugin.

It's not "restriction"...If you're doing this "direct" streaming, you can set the max no. of listners to like 1000 but everything depends on how much upstream bandwidth you have. With radiostreamer, everything will be set for you. If you order for 20 concurrent listeners then it'll display as max as 20. You need not have to worry about having skips on your stream.

Another slightly easier way, you can use Windows Media Audio 9 format. The plugin will actually allow you to encode and stream "Direct" to your listeners without the use of a WMA server but this is HIGHLY not recommended!

The user will be connecting to YOU directly and it will have an adverse affect on the amount of your Band-width available. Simply you will be serving the stream directly - so be sure you know you have sufficient Band-width resources to achieve this otherwise for "Optimal" usage, you should only use a WMA Streaming server and set the "Max Connections" of your WMA encoder to 1 or 2, or dependent on the amount of WMA servers you will be using or allowing connection with.

Just go to the DRS 2006 Add Ons page and click on the Internet Broadcaster and there you can find tutorial on how to set up your stream.

Basically the WMA server will need to know "your IP and port information" as opposed to setting it in the plugin configuration itself (reverse of what MP3 Encoder is). The WMA server will then look for your WMA encoders IP and port that each is running on and connect directly to you, then serve the stream to your listeners.
Last edited by DRS 2006 - Rendy on Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rendy
DRS 2006 Support Center
DRS 2006 - Rendy
DRS'er
DRS'er

Thanks

Postby Anish » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:33 pm

Thanks Rendy.

Decided to opt for Windows Media 9. Have set up a Windows Media Server using Windows Server 2003. The whole set up works perfectly.
Anish
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby silvery » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:56 pm

silvery
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Radio Streamer