Underruns and upload speed questions

At DRS 2006 we also offer high quality streaming at the lowest prices. We also guide you through step by step while setting up your own internet radio station. After debuting your broadcast on the World Wide Web, join us here to talk about streaming.

Underruns and upload speed questions

Postby aamurray » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:06 am

Hi, I am testing out your streaming server and I have encountered some difficulties which I hope you can help with. I have paid for 20 users on a 96K connection and am on the rs3 server. The problems I have are as follows:

1. At 96K 44KHz stereo upload speed my clients are experiencing persistent stopping and buffering and also "jumping" from the middle of one song to another. If I slow the speed down to 24K 22KHz mono they don't get this problem but the quality is severely compromised at thier end. Why is this happening? How can I sort it out?

2. Please tell me what "underruns" are. why they occur and what I can do to limit them. This, I realise is related to the above query but underruns are not mentioned anywhere in the FAQ. Also at 56K there are also persistent underruns.

3. In Shoutcast admin when I view the logfile I get the following:- "logfile not found". How do I enable this feature? What will it report on?

4. In the "tail logfile" all I can see are "yp" error messages which retur the following "(please identify this station's genre (in the dsp plugin YP tab)". Where is this tab? (FYI I don't use the DRS software).

Best regards,
Alan.
aamurray
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Postby DRS 2006 - Mark » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:53 pm

Hi,

we are sorry you are havin problems:

1.) What is yoiur upload speed. You might not be able to upload 96k. However if you have enough, please contact support@drs2006.com so we can try a different server whoich might be closer to your location

2.) See 1

3.) We have disabled the logfile because it gets pretty huge on our servers. However if you really need it, we can activate it. ALso please contact support@drs2006.com for this.

4.) YP errors come from shoutcast.com. This simply means that there is a problem to list you on shoutcast.com for various reasons we cannot control. However this is retried till you are listed.
Mark
DRS 2006 Help Desk
DRS 2006 - Mark
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you

Postby aamurray » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:05 pm

Thanks Mark for your swift reply. My upload speed, according to my ISP, is 128K - so I'm sure I have enough bandwidth. I will forward the question to the support email address.
Alan.
aamurray
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Re: Thank you

Postby Dave B » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:26 pm

aamurray wrote:Thanks Mark for your swift reply. My upload speed, according to my ISP, is 128K - so I'm sure I have enough bandwidth. I will forward the question to the support email address.
Alan.

128k doesn't leave you much "wiggle room" if you're streaming at 96k. In reality your upload speed is probaly lower than 128k much of the time. Try streaming at 64k or upgrade your service from your ISP.
Dave
Soft ' N Easy Net Radio

Tel: 1-888-256-0242
"Magic Of The 80's"
Saturdays 8PM EST and Sundays 12PM EST.
Dave B
Super Broadcaster
Super Broadcaster

Thanks for advice

Postby aamurray » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:39 pm

Thanks Dave, I was even having problems uploading at 56k!

I have since changed the buffer setting on my system and now it seems to be working correctly at 96k without any underruns or "jumps" - I will test it overnight to see if it is really working correctly.

Alan.
aamurray
New Broadcaster
New Broadcaster

Return to DRS 2006 Radio Streamer